Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oops! Entered this in the B8 forum by mistake....

Hello, tomorrow would be the 5th time that I am taking our 2017 Passat SEL Premium in for service! There is a rattling noise coming from the driver side rear seat grab handle area above the window. The last times when I took it on, I drove the car with the technician in the back seat, so that he can pin point the exact location. While I was driving he took off the grab handle and the noise was still there! They replaced the grab handle and put some extra padding , and that repair did not do much! The last time that it was in, they replaced the entire headliner/ trim. That seemed to last for about 50 miles of driving back and the noise re-appeared. The noise seems to be metallic. Since replacing the entire headliner and grab handle didn't fix the issue, I'm thinking if it's coming from the frame!

At this point, i think I have exhausted my efforts to get this issue corrected. I am giving the dealer 1 more opportunity to correct it. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue. This is our 3rd Passat, and the 1st with a quality issue (other than our previous 2014 TDI). I have not contacted VW of America yet.

:banghead:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I definitely have some serious quality issues with mine. Unfortunately I didn’t have time to deal with it. Now it’s got 111k miles so I’m stuck with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Oops! Entered this in the B8 forum by mistake....

Hello, tomorrow would be the 5th time that I am taking our 2017 Passat SEL Premium in for service! There is a rattling noise coming from the driver side rear seat grab handle area above the window. The last times when I took it on, I drove the car with the technician in the back seat, so that he can pin point the exact location. While I was driving he took off the grab handle and the noise was still there! They replaced the grab handle and put some extra padding , and that repair did not do much! The last time that it was in, they replaced the entire headliner/ trim. That seemed to last for about 50 miles of driving back and the noise re-appeared. The noise seems to be metallic. Since replacing the entire headliner and grab handle didn't fix the issue, I'm thinking if it's coming from the frame!

At this point, i think I have exhausted my efforts to get this issue corrected. I am giving the dealer 1 more opportunity to correct it. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue. This is our 3rd Passat, and the 1st with a quality issue (other than our previous 2014 TDI). I have not contacted VW of America yet.

:banghead:
Interesting. My son's 2016 Passat has a metallic rattling noise that I think comes from behind the driver's seat, but only on bumps that make the whole car bounce, happening mostly when it is a bump the left side of the vehicle goes over; never, it seems, when just the right side goes over the bump. I thought it was something under the car. Could we be hearing the same thing?

My trip to the dealer for 70,000 service led to them to hearing something, but not being able to diagnose it. My son is frustrated with the noise and I have no idea how to get it fixed for him.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Interesting. My son's 2016 Passat has a metallic rattling noise that I think comes from behind the driver's seat, but only on bumps that make the whole car bounce, happening mostly when it is a bump the left side of the vehicle goes over; never, it seems, when just the right side goes over the bump. I thought it was something under the car. Could we be hearing the same thing?

My trip to the dealer for 70,000 service led to them to hearing something, but not being able to diagnose it. My son is frustrated with the noise and I have no idea how to get it fixed for him.
I found a broken spring piece laying in the lower rear spring mount. That was hard to find. Sounded like it was in the car seat.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took it to a different dealer the last time, and they were able to figure out exactly where it was coming from. It was a spot on the frame where 3 pieces of metal comes together. They had to do some reinforcing and padding and we haven't had the noise reappear since.

Sadly the car was in an accident and was declared a Total Loss. VW didn't offer the SEL Premium in 2019, so we had to but a used one with just 5200 miles on it. This is our 4th Passat!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
4 Participants
Rez1
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing