Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, the engine in my 1998 Passat (1.8T, 70k miles) started making a rattling noise at 2500 RPM and lower. From the inside of the car it almost sounds like engine braking ("Jake Braking") noise. From the outside, with the hood up, it sounds like excess valve noise. When the engine speed goes above 2500 RPM, the noise goes away.

The engine seems to run a little rougher at idle, but there is no loss of power and performance seems fine.

Any ideas?

TIA

·
Registered
191 Posts
I had the same rattle on my car a year ago and it turned out it was the timing belt tensioner. I had the timing belt and tensioner replaced for about $400.00 by a local shop (dealer wanted $800.00) I would get it checked soon. If that is the problem, you don't want to be driving it too much longer.

·
Registered
871 Posts
My car's started doing the same but with no loss of performance, power or rough idling, however, it's all new TB gear. Of course, I did it all myself. I'm currently trying to diagnose the problem.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Followup: it was the timing belt tensioner, and the 10y/100k powertrain warranty covered the repair. You know it's bad when, upon pulling up to the dealer's garage, a mechanic runs up to my car and asks me to shut off the engine because it sounded like a timing belt issue, and he didn't want my engine to die right in the entrance!

Also, the previous poster was correct in that if it was only the timing belt that was bad, they consider that a maintenance item, and would have charged me for it. However, the service rep indicated that a bad timing belt alone probably wouldn't have cause the rattling.

Finally, one last data point: from the time I noticed the rattling to the time I got it fixed, I put 200 miles on the car. Not that I'm recommending you drive the car if you get the noise (for the record I don't), I just wanted to point out that in an emergency, you may have a little breathing room to get the car fixed if you need it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts