Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when i start and turn off my B5 there is a slight rattling...sounds like a belt? could it be TB? car has 85K bought at 75K...i read the forums about TB's in V6's which seem to be more reliable......any other ideas?

my clutch squeaks when i press it down...do i need to WD40 something?
if there is a forum on this just post a link...i seem to be retarded and can't find much...thanks for the help!

btw any B5ers in MD???

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Uhm, TB may or may not be reliable in the V6, but the water pump, which can seize and take out teh TB, sure as hell isn't. And rattling can be a symptom of a dying water pump

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
A bad water pump won't wear a TB over time.
What hill ahppen is this. teh water pump is driven by the TB. When the water pump seizes, the TB will be damaged, sometimes enough to break the belt and cause that horrible sould of valves going crunch. Seriously, if you ahve rattling coming from the TB area of the car, i'd get it fixed before I drove it.

·
Grinding Gears...gone fishing!
22,610 Posts
grab two opposite ends of the fan(with the car off) and wiggle it, is there alot of play?
sometimes there is if the waterpump is bad.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
there is no play at all, could the TB be all that bad at 85k?
there's a guy who posted a few days ago, his TB shreded at like 70k
85k is way to long, you can see on your radator mount VW recommends 75k. VWoA was smoking crack and not listening to VW in germany when it wrote the manual. Same reason the 1.8T get sludge
Also not that the "play" test will only confirm you ahve it, you could still have a failing WP without play.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
You'd need to pull it.
And once you're down there, you might as well replace it. Getting to the water pump is a good 6hr job for an experenced mechanic, more for someone who hasn;t done it before. The water pump is $200 max. You should also replace the TB, tensioner, idler pulley, thermostat while you're down there.http://www.blauparts.com/audi_vw_timing_belt_kits/vw_passat_v6_30v_timing_belt_kit_improved.shtml
Just buy those and install it (or have it installed). You're way overdue on your service. this is not something to screw around with. At min, if the water pump or tb fails catisrophically, you're looking a $2000-$4000 repair, plus the time belt job. Worst case, you start shopping for new engines.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
good look on the site, gonna be a month before i can dip down the proper cash to purchase, appreciate all the help!

any idea's on the squeaking clutch?
do i just need to WD 40?

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Seriously, if you think its the water pump or TB, charge it.
These tend to fail without warning and the fact that you're getting warning means if they're gonna fail it'll likely be sooner rather than later.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts