Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So saturday I picked up a 99 Passat 1.8T GLS. When I got home I was looking under the car and kept hearing something unlocking or trying to open, and would do it about every 5 seconds. As I walked around the car, it was the trunk opening. So I opened it and shut it down and it done it again. It continued to do it 3 more times then it stopped. So about 10 minutes later I was going to clean up the inside and opened the driver door and the trunk popped again.

The second thing is the 2 screens on the dash with the mileage and temps stay on all the time with car off, key out and doors open. Im not sure if thats suppose to happen or not. And the first day i brought it home I noticed that with the key out and doors open i was still able to roll the windows up and down, but it hasnt done it since.

The third thing is the rear driver window rolls down on its own when the child window lock is on, but doesnt when its off.

Last thing is if I lock and set the alarm with the key hole in the trunk, then walk around and unlock the doors by the key hole on the driver door it does not turn the alarm off. Like I said they are kinda weird but thought I would see if I could get some opinions on what it could.

·
Moderate Moderator
16,485 Posts
The door lock/latch modules have little switches that sense when the door gets locked or unlocked. Those report to the alarm system located in the body computer (CCM). It's common for a solder to go bad and then the switch stops communicating with the car.

taligentx.com: Passat - Door Lock Mechanism Repair

For the trunk, check the remote trunk button located in the glove box. Is something pressing on it? Is it stuck in the depressed position? Unplug the button from the harness and see if the problem stops.

Unlike an LED, an LCD screen takes almost no power to run.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The door lock/latch modules have little switches that sense when the door gets locked or unlocked. Those report to the alarm system located in the body computer (CCM). It's common for a solder to go bad and then the switch stops communicating with the car.

taligentx.com: Passat - Door Lock Mechanism Repair

For the trunk, check the remote trunk button located in the glove box. Is something pressing on it? Is it stuck in the depressed position? Unplug the button from the harness and see if the problem stops.

Unlike an LED, an LCD screen takes almost no power to run.
Checked the trunk button and it seemed ok. And actually it hasnt done it again since the second day i had it, so over a week. Like i said it just random.

·
Registered
7 Posts
it is normal for the electric windows to still operate after removing the ignition key, until the door has been opened, then there is no power

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where in KY are you?
Richmond, You

it is normal for the electric windows to still operate after removing the ignition key, until the door has been opened, then there is no power
Well right after I got it the windows would still work even after the door was opened and key was out. But like 2 days later it stopped and works normal.

·
Moderate Moderator
16,485 Posts
Well right after I got it the windows would still work even after the door was opened and key was out. But like 2 days later it stopped and works normal.
I wonder if the CCM didn't know the door was opened (faulty latch module). When the door latch began working properly, so did that feature.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts