Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One or two of the dash vent lights occasionally don't light up. What could be the cause of these random temporary outages? I don't remember if I had this problem before removing Relay 173 to disable DRL's two months ago. However, I WAS having this problem before I installed the W8 overhead LED console one month ago, so I know W8 upgrade is not the problem. I've done no other electrical mods.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Happened on my 2002. I had to tap the dash to get the light to work. Dealer replaced the vent part and its worked since. If your car is still under warranty take it in.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
There is no relation to relay 173. Don't sweat it. Also, check out the info section for vent bulb replacement. Getting the vents loose is a PITA.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well here I am at the dealership, using their computer room. Unfortunately I don't have time leave the car with them for a few hours today, so I'll have to get it done another time. I decided to get my first synthetic oil change today at 31,000 miles. They wanted $50 for FIVE quarts + $21 for filter and labor = $71. Pfff, yeah right. I asked them if I could bring my own oil, they said sure, so I gave them 5 quarts of Mobil 1 0W-40. Should be $16 here + $25 for the 5 quarts of oil I bought = $41. They better give me the 5th bottle back! I'm curious to see what the part # is on their oil filter, wondering if it's the newer larger one for 04's.

Also they just told me the rear pads have less than 15% left, so I'm getting those replaced for a bargain price of $213. :roll: What is that, about $120 labor for an hour or so of work? I hope I make that much per hour someday.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
gnosis - if you haven't done the pads yet, go home, take off a rear wheel and look at the pads before you let them do the work. Levisville VW (TX) told me I had 15% left about a year ago -- I checked and I had closer to 70% left. I've never gone back to that dealer. OE pads thickness = 12mm. Wear limit = 7mm. That's the thickness of the *entire* pad, not just the "indented" part near the rotor. Been to metro vw three times since then, and they think my pads look fine. Be careful.

The vent bulb p/n is 3B0-919-243-A. You can order online from vwparts.com, instead of going through the dealer. (Get a few, since they're cheap and you're paying shipping anyway).

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Damn it times two.

pete1, thanks for that warning. Unfortunately they already replaced the pads. Next time I will be wiser.

I've read quite a few posts here about dealerships being notorious for overfilling, and sure enough, I just checked the dipstick and it's WAY too high, almost a FULL centimeter ABOVE the A-level as the manual calls it. I felt free to give the dealership a call this evening, left a message with the receptionist that they overfilled. I gave her the supervisor's name and the mechanic's name, as she requested. And of course I'm going out of town tomorrow until next week, so I have no choice but to drive 800+ miles over the next 4 days with TOO MUCH OIL. Great. What's the worst that could happen besides damage my cat converter?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
4 Participants
gnosis
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing