Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001 2.8 ATQ motor (Passat GLX 4motion) is issues. I changed out the valve cover gaskets and replace a couple of vacuum lines. Since then I have constant random misfires on cylinders 1, 2, 4, 5, and 6. But not 3!?!

What is this problem, what was the cause? I have shaved my head, so I do not pull anymore of my hair out. This is my wife's car, so I need to get it running. May I please have someone who can help me out.

·
Registered
5,769 Posts
Sudden random misfires on all cylinders (#3 may be the marginally less prone to misfire on your engine) is often due to an ignition system Voltage problem. I would check the grounds and treat the electrical connectors with a contact cleaner, or even WD40.

·
Moderator/Administrator
26,004 Posts
How old are your plug wires? They may have broken down inside and with you removing and reinstalling them, it may have accelerated the deterioration.

·
Registered
5,769 Posts
How old are your plug wires? They may have broken down inside and with you removing and reinstalling them, it may have accelerated the deterioration.
That could be true, but in this case more likely some common denominator. On the V6, bad wires would tend to affect 2 out of 6, or 4 out of six, or all cylinders.

·
Registered
28,888 Posts
Have you checked fuel trims? I expect there is a vacuum leak since the misfires are multiple and random. I would recheck the vacuum lines as well as the seals between the MAF and throttle body.

Reactions: Tomvw
1 - 7 of 7 Posts