Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking at getting one pretty soon, but i dont want to deal with it if anyone is getting codes thrown from it. After doing a little reading on it, here are the questions i have left:

What engine code do you have?
Does your Random throw codes?
Any problems passing emission?
What vendor did you buy it from?
Any fitment/ hardware problems?

i think it would go nicely with this:

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
D,

I know that Phantom GLI, Rusty, HvyDrnkr23, and a few others had the Random Cat on their cars. I can speak from experience, but from what I can recall, everyone has all said great things about it.

Steve

·
Registered
618 Posts
I have one on my 99 " AEB" and it has been flawless. I love it. Gives a slightly more agressive sound too

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
Spanky McGee has gotten perpetual CEL's ever since he installed his Random Cat.

Sent you PM, but for the public record:

The only time it has thrown "cat efficiency" codes has been when the gaskets were bad. However, I'm still running the factory 2.25" exhaust. A full 2.5" setup may cause codes - I dunno.

If you have a couple of days, hold off on the dealer gaskets - they're around $15-$20 each. I ordered some from busdepot.com and they were only $4 each. Should be receiving them soon, so I can tell you if they are OEM quality or not.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I have not had anything but good experiences with my Random tech cat.

The only issue I can recall was that I had to use my dremel to widen to holes on the flange.

I had posted some impressions after the install and mentioned having to widen the holes and someone else posted that they had to do the same.

I purchased my cat from techtonics tuning and the include the requiered hardware and gaskets with the cat. The only problem is that they sell the cat for 100 buck more that anyone else.

Some one recommended that I should have purchased the cat from lightning motorsports.

The cat has a two warranty and I assume if you use it with a mild exhaust upgrade there should be no issues.

I recall on person said they only get the cat code after long road trips.

The other people that have been having codes I beleive they run very modified turbos and 3 inch custom exhaust.

Millitek of the UK also offers a "Cell" type cat and I also know that Supersprint exhaust also markets "cell" type cats for the racing and european market I don't know if they have one for the passat 1.8t but I do remeber them offering one for the Golf and Jetta.

For me the only downside of installing the cat was the labor.

I bought a ten inch extension just to get to the bolt that connect the downpipe to the cat.

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
phantom GLI said:
...The only issue I can recall was that I had to use my dremel to widen to holes on the flange...
The turbo flange? If so, me too. I just had to touch one of the holes a wee bit.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for all the input gentlemen,

spanky has a 2002 " " with wett [email protected] 1.1bar and 2.5" exhaust ............ codes
aldo has a 2001 " " with GIAC chip @ ___bar & 2.5" exhaust ........... no codes
doogie_h has a 99 AEB with GT28R @ 1.6bar(23psi) & stock exhaust.......no codes
phantom looks like a 99or98* ________________________________.......no codes
*from pics of his car, looks like he has the stubby mirror

so it looks like the CELs are more dependent on engine code than exhaust. i havent had time to read in the bentley or elsewhere what if anything is different about the metering of the O2 sensors.

Daniel

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
holy smokes...$650, send one to me and i will defiantely give you a full report. i dont see a reason it would not fit our car.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Hey Guys.

What a funny thread to click on Tuesday morning, as I got my 2nd CEL in as many weeks last night coming home from diner, the car is sitting out front with a disconnected battery.

As Daniel so rockingly broke down for us, I've got a 2002 AWM engine. I get about a code every month, and if I go longer than that CEL free, I begin to wonder!

Here is what I think is happening, someone correct me if I'm off.

The ECU recognizes that the cat is below it's efficiency range the second you open it up on the highway. It logs that info somewhere. Do that enough times in a row, and the MIL will light up. (Thus, no codes being thrown from a quick point A. to point B.) Only during long(er) drives. 50+ miles.

I'm the only guy here who gets these damn CELs this frequently, but I would hate for that to stop you from buying this product, as it IS an improvement over stock. Your butt really feels the gobs over extra low end torque.

Since I'm doomed to have exhaust "issues" I'm going to take the process one step further, and I'm adding an electric cut out right after the cat on the 2.5" DP in a few weeks. Something you might consider, due to the fact that you have a closed loop passing emissions system, but at the flick of a switch, you get all the potential of a dump.

Oh, and try to re-use the stock gaskets. The hardware packed in with the cat is crap.

-steven

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
Update on the busdepot gaskets: They are not exactly the same as the ones I got from the dealer, however, they appear able to do the job. They have the required compression rings and are made of stout material. The ones that came with the Random Cat didn't even look quality. So if you have a week-or-so timeframe, I'd order the ones from busdepot. For $4, I'd order two each (and I did - I have spares now :) )

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
one way to get around the CEL is to install a spacer between the O2 sensor and the second bung. AW people have been doing this for awhile to get around CELs when using test pipes. By creating that extra bit of space, it tricks the O2 sensor to read as if there is stock exhaust flow going by it instead of the increased flow no cat / random cat would create.

Dave

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
crew217 said:
one way to get around the CEL is to install a spacer between the O2 sensor and the second bung.
like a washer or something? i'll have to look at this when i do the install

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
hmmm can't find it . . . . its not a washer . . . . think of a male / female piece with the same sized threads. it just extends the bung a bit.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts