Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So few days before Thursday the idle started to get a bit rough, I was like I'm gonna get it fixed after the holidays, because besides that it was fine.
BUT on Thursday after I went over a small uphill I stopped at the traffic light and I've seen a big cloud of smoke. I think it was white, but I've only seen it though the foggy windows so I guess it could be blueish. Anyway, after I reached the destination I popped up the hood, and seen a big oil splash (photos attached), but the car was fine on the whole journey. Few hours later I went back home, and the car was fine, or at least I haven't seen any smokes, and haven't experienced any issues with the idle.

What could be the problem? Old piston rings? Is there anything that I should check?

Specs:
  • Passat B5 Variant
  • AJM engine code
  • 1.9 PD TDI
  • made in 2000.10
  • The coolant level is the same
  • The oil level was a little bit higher than the maximum level but it was changed 6 months ago
  • I checked with VCDS but nothing, no error codes, everything looks fine

Attachments

·
Registered
5,951 Posts
Try over here.
TDIClub Forums

In simple terms, somehow the crankcase is getting pressurized and forcing oil out the dipstick.

Reactions: G3ph4z

·
Registered
154 Posts
You
So few days before Thursday the idle started to get a bit rough, I was like I'm gonna get it fixed after the holidays, because besides that it was fine.
BUT on Thursday after I went over a small uphill I stopped at the traffic light and I've seen a big cloud of smoke. I think it was white, but I've only seen it though the foggy windows so I guess it could be blueish. Anyway, after I reached the destination I popped up the hood, and seen a big oil splash (photos attached), but the car was fine on the whole journey. Few hours later I went back home, and the car was fine, or at least I haven't seen any smokes, and haven't experienced any issues with the idle.

What could be the problem? Old piston rings? Is there anything that I should check?

Specs:
  • Passat B5 Variant
  • AJM engine code
  • 1.9 PD TDI
  • made in 2000.10
  • The coolant level is the same
  • The oil level was a little bit higher than the maximum level but it was changed 6 months ago
  • I checked with VCDS but nothing, no error codes, everything looks fine
Couple of items to consider in the cause. The tandem pump could be leaking excessive air and pressurizing the engine. PD's are known to have have lots of blowby because of the nature of the tandem pump. The pump may need to be replaced or rebuilt. The other thing is you mentioned the oil level is a bit higher. Do you know when you changed your oil, it wasn't overfilled? If it wasn't overfilled, then you may have to consider diesel fuel leaking into the crankcase. This could be cause again, by a leaking tandem pump or the injector o-rings are leaking. So if the crankcase is overflilled oil, than it may be good chance that it will spray out. Especially if the engine is not on a level surface. Or as you stated, If you engine has high mileage/kilometers, then it could be just worn rings.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts