Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran my car (00 passat 1.8) out of gas yesterday in my garage. The temperature now is in the teens if this has any effect. I refueled the car and now it wont start at all. It acts as if it wants to but never does. WHen i turn the ignition i can hear the fuel pump turn on. Has anyone ever had this problem? Is this engine like a diesel where you have to prime it?

·
Banned
6 Posts
Queers

WHAT A BUNCH OF FUCKING RETARDS!!! THIS GUY ASKS A SERIOUS QUESTION AND HE GETS A BUNCH OF BULLSHIT REMARKS FROM YOU ASSHOLES. THE ONLY VALUABLE PART OF THIS FORUM IS THE CLASSIFIEDS. IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANYTHING USEFUL TO SAY....FUCK OFF AND DON'T SAY ANYTHING.....BASTARDS :puke:

·
What time is Matlock on?
17,316 Posts
oliguric said:
WHAT A BUNCH OF FUCKING RETARDS!!! THIS GUY ASKS A SERIOUS QUESTION AND HE GETS A BUNCH OF BULLSHIT REMARKS FROM YOU ASSHOLES. THE ONLY VALUABLE PART OF THIS FORUM IS THE CLASSIFIEDS. IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANYTHING USEFUL TO SAY....FUCK OFF AND DON'T SAY ANYTHING.....BASTARDS :puke:
Ok tough guy (aka :troll: ) ....we were both being serious in our answers. It's also the way you *prime* the fuel filter after changing it (but it's obvious you didn't know that).

Next time take the caps-lock off, ya sack. Oh, and way to go with such a great offering of expertise yourself. Establishing a REAL good name for yourself :thumbdown:

·
What time is Matlock on?
17,316 Posts
Oh, and Boes2, last time that happened in my Audi, I had to actually spray some fuel manually with the equivalent of a turky baster to actually get it started (it was an 85 Audi). YOu might wanna see if you can get a trusted mech in your area to try it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i can still here the fuel pump pumping when the car ignition is turned so i dont think that i completely burned that out. I have ran it out before and it started right back up. Were you just spraying the fuel into the throtle body ?

·
Registered
444 Posts
oliguric said:

Pull up your diapers and be a big boy ;)

·
murdered out Jetta, er, B5 Passat
11,168 Posts
This one time my 1999 1.8T wouldn't start and I held the key in the ignition for a minute, the engine kept turning and turning but never turned on, but eventuall, it did turn on. I also recall a huge cloud of black smoke comming from my exhaust too though. It's been 5 years since that incident and I never had another problem with it starting up, ever!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Boes2 said:
i can still here the fuel pump pumping when the car ignition is turned so i dont think that i completely burned that out. I have ran it out before and it started right back up. Were you just spraying the fuel into the throtle body ?
The fuel pump might not be pressurizing the lines to full pressure. At this point, you can do 2 things: new fuel pump or hook up a fuel pressure gauge.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm amazed by someone who bothers to post some sort of mindless rant. What a highly valuable member of the group. The reality is the forum is extremely help full and has been to me on a number of issues. If you have nothing to bring to the group, do that, bring nothing.

As for the fuel pump, empty tank no start...I've run dry in other VWs and was able to refuel and go. I hope you get it sorted out without much difficulty.

Good luck.

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
oliguric said:
Everyone, oliguric. Oliguric, everyone.

Oliguric will be standing in for me for the next couple of weeks. Should any need shouting down or otherwise cussed, Oliguric is the man.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Arthrogrian19 said:
I remember reading in a similar thread that the fuel actually lubricates the fuel pump. I may be wrong though.
Pump motor is cooled by being immersed in fuel. Hard to imagine it overheated to failure in subfreezing temps.

Let's not forget the last few drops of fluid in the tank can be condensation water that freeze in the lines.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts