Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
z28 driver, I looked all over for you/your dad's GTO but you didn't show, I'm depressed! haha

This is my first honest track visit with the mustang, I've only thorougly driven driven a 5 speed about 5k miles (this car..) most of that highway (easily 4k of it, if not more - I commute a lot)

the car has 174,680 miles on body/engine and counting.. it has a reman T5 with between 10 and 20k miles on it... new clutch (motorcraft, not aftermarket..) afaik stock and original injectors, MAF, TB, the works.. rear main seal leaks a bit..

anyhow - no track prep whatsoever.. spare tire/jack/20 lb jumper box (just in case..) and a toolbox with a handful of tools in it.. in other words ran it just as it would be on the street.. tire pressures at ~30

Burnout was no problem..
here's the first slip, I was cracking up when I saw the slip.. I spun through the 60' entirely (my opponent was GONE at that point..) I shifted ~5800 and I had to shift to 4th by 90 MPH (by my speedo, it reads ~5 MPH fast going by the GPS and the 'your speed is' machines laying about..) so that had to hurt some as well as the fact I have one full exhaust pipe w/muffler and one dumping out right under the passenger seat..
also had an hour trip there, and NO cool down time..

Sorry for the rambling, here's the numbers, you can laugh, the guys in the stands were as I drove back past, I just waved :D

I sorta missed third this run.. blew past into fifth, realized it instantly then put it to third.. never let the clutch out til then

Temp - 79 humidity 51 <- perfect!
R/T ... .846 <-- :lol:
60' ... 2.692 <-- :lol:
330 ... 6.899
1/8 ... 10.591
MPH ... 67.11
990 ... 13.575
1/4 16.205 <- :lol:
MPH ... 88.25 <-- For all my crappy driving that's a pretty fair trap speed, IMO..

Pulled right back into the staging lanes.. stayed idling for the 10 or so minutes it took for our lane to move again.. went right back a second time.. and surprised myself, I was expecting another fairly subpar run (to my standards.. I know some of yours are much tougher :) )

Second run

R/T ... .628 < -- a smidge better
60' ... 2.503 <-- also a smidge better, still no traction.. still crappy
330 ... 6.650
1/8 ... 10.066 <-- 1/8th was half a second better! woo!
MPH ... 72.64
990 ... 12.887
1/4 ... 15.440
MPH ... 90.53 <-- I'm liking these high trap speeds.. if I could learn how to launch, and get traction, I think.. I could see 14's with a very good R/T..

Okay, you can stop laughing now ;)

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm used to automatic trannies.. holding a steady RPMs.. easing into the gas after the light goes green and just taking off.. not too familiar with stick.. ... I cut off a solid 7-8 tenths in the 1/4 by improving my 60' a bit.. - that was on 205/60s 0_0 stock is 225/55 I believe..
If I had a solid exhaust.. (IE both sides equal, with decent quality stuff on it.. one flowmaster and one cutout doesn't work I dont' think..)

that's on a 5.0.. my deal with the SVO fell through :(

I also think I was shifting too high.. I read that with a stock cam/mostly stock setup its good to shift at 5400, I was shifting at 5800

·
Banned
2,107 Posts
where did you run? atco or e-town?

don't let your first time make you think that that's what your average will be,...my first time i ran 15.7 and 15.4...
-second time, kept getting 15.4...
-last time i went i got a 15.2, just from driving...

since you're a new stick driving, you're definately going to need to practice launching...
just practice driving and learn your shift points and you're golden! :thumbup:

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
maniac_productions said:
where did you run? atco or e-town?

don't let your first time make you think that that's what your average will be,...my first time i ran 15.7 and 15.4...
-second time, kept getting 15.4...
-last time i went i got a 15.2, just from driving...

since you're a new stick driving, you're definately going to need to practice launching...
just practice driving and learn your shift points and you're golden! :thumbup:
ran at atco.. englishtown is too far from me, and if you're up for lots of runs, you can't really do that there.. plus $13 to run + $3 for a helmet = a good time :) it's like a trip to the movies for 2..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.