Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm convinced my rain sensor has gone belly up because during an unusually heavy downpour, I put my wipers to the 1st notch (intermitten wipe-rain sensor) and waited almost 30 seconds and not a single wipe. Any ideas why and any idea where to find the sensor?

·
Registered
10 Posts
mine seems to work only after moving to the manual wiper position and then back to 3rd position (intermittent rain sensor) when I first need wipers. Either that or adjust the rate switch on wiper control arm when raining. After this initial toggling mine works fine. 04 glx

·
Registered
11,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sharky said:
Right in front of the rearview mirror.

Round thing stuck to the glass....
Sharky - is that exposed to the outside or inside the car? Outside I presume?

·
Registered
612 Posts
It would be difficult to mount it on a GLS due to:

1. Its very difficult to remove the rearview mirror holder off the glass.
2. You would need to upgrade to the GLX autodim mirror to incorporate the rain sensor which fits inside the mounting ring for the GLX mirror.
3. Besides the wiring, the computer would have to be reprogamed to tell the car it has a rain sensor.

Its all do-able, but not really worth the price to function. Its not that hard to turn on the wipers manually is it? :p

·
Registered
11,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
InkBlue, sounds like you've some knowledge about the rain sensor, any ideas on what my problem might be?

How can I tell where my sensor is and if it's functional? I have a GLX and thus the auto-dimming mirror but have no idea if that sensor working or even there to begin with!

A close up pix perhaps? :bow:

TIA!

·
Registered
316 Posts
InkBlue said:

2. You would need to upgrade to the GLX autodim mirror to incorporate the rain sensor which fits inside the mounting ring for the GLX mirror.
3. Besides the wiring, the computer would have to be reprogamed to tell the car it has a rain sensor.

Its all do-able, but not really worth the price to function. Its not that hard to turn on the wipers manually is it? :p
Thanks for the info! :lol:

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
faroodi said:
InkBlue said:

Thanks for the info! :lol:
To my understanding, the rain sensor is actually built into the glass, which is why if you've ever priced out a GLX replacement windshield, you'd crap a brick.

S_Class, try reseting the computer by unplugging your battery. And do it on a day where there's no rain, so if it does calibrate or something, it'll be able to. I only say this because mine was acting erradically, and ever since I got a new battery, it's been working like perfectly.... so maybe it reset it? worth a shot! g'luck!

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Do you have a clean windshield? RainX is a big no-no, anything that leaves a film will confuse your sensor. If left in the auto-position when I turn on the ignition, I always have to go back into the off position, then snap it back to auto.

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
psm0110 said:
Do you have a clean windshield? RainX is a big no-no, anything that leaves a film will confuse your sensor. If left in the auto-position when I turn on the ignition, I always have to go back into the off position, then snap it back to auto.
Yes-if it doesn't take a swipe, you must produce one before it will work.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've just stripped my rain sensor down since it's been very sporadic at working when it's raining :wink:

Looks like the actual sensor is a transducer - it rests against the glass (held in place by springs which tighten when you refit the mirror) - as far as I can guess the rain on the glass makes the 'echo' returned to the pickup change in pitch (it's ultrasonic so only your dog will tell you exactly :wink: :wink: :wink: )

Mine looked like it had been 'serviced' before - the whole sensor was filled up with clear silicone sealant... I've cleaned it up and refitted - hopefully this will fix things!

Anyone else have any experience of whether the sealant should be there or not? Didn't look like a factory finish which is why I chose to clean it off...

David 8)

(2000 1.8T Tip Estate)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
10 Participants
bulletcom
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing