Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On a local Cleveland, Ohio VW/Audi forum (fatdubs.com) of which I'm a long time member (and the administrator!), a local friend of mine told me the following:

do yourself a huge favor before winter comes... open the front doors and cut the rubber drains coming out of the body. they are closed, and cause flooding in passats quite often. either backing up into the raintray (where your ecu and battery are..) or into the cabin, draining onto the floor and flooding the tcm..
This isn't my first B5 before, and I've never had issues with this prior. Then again this will be my first real hard-core winter-use B5. (It is a 2000 VW Passat V6 4mo wagon).

I've located the plugs he is speaking of in the door jam, and I see where they are 'closed ended' which is odd. It does make sense that if those are indeed for water draining, they would need to be able to continue the flow downwards otherwise they might freeze or backup.

Does anyone else agree with his suggestion to cut these plugs open? Is this a common issue?

·
Moderate Moderator
16,486 Posts
I may be wrong, but I read that one of the VW recall procedures included cutting the closed tip off of those two front drain hoses. Someone here may be able to chime in with more substantiated information.

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,902 Posts
they are not sealed. they are formed almost like a nipple. (yes, I said nipple.)

·
Moderate Moderator
16,486 Posts
why did VW seal the ends? Seems to me, if they are drains from the sunroof, they'd be open
Well, they aren't exactly "sealed". The end of the tube is a one way valve that allows water to drain out but nothing to go up the tube. I don't know why they thought it necessary to design them this way.

edit: It took me too long to type this & I missed the part where Jay said Nipple!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Huh, he said nipple! Yeah the design seems a little flawed. I realize they are supposed to let fluid out but they seem to do a poor job of that obviously. Oh well .. my are snipped (circumsized?) now... :)

·
Registered
180 Posts
They worked fine when the cars was new and clean. Years of rain carring dust/dirt/debris down the tube gums it up and essentially seals the end. Poor design, I guess, definately lack of foresight. Wasn't trimming these part of the r-9 recall campaing, as Steve in Chicago mentioned?

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Well, they aren't exactly "sealed". The end of the tube is a one way valve that allows water to drain out but nothing to go up the tube. I don't know why they thought it necessary to design them this way.
Certain species of spiders have a nasty habit of putting egg sacs in tubes. This could potentially clog the sunroof drains as well, hence the design.

I've not snipped mine yet, but I pinch the drains about once a week or so to ensure they do drain.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts