Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even at the min setting, the volume is a bit too loud. With VagCOM, is there a way to set the volume for '00 Passat GXL Tip Monsoon radio?

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,906 Posts
on the minimum volume setting for the radio it's still too loud?
wow, you must have good hearing! :lol:

and no.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Wow, you must be really old.

As in, if it's too loud, you're too old :lol: :poke:

That's an odd complaint though, the volume is working, right? The sound level changes? Just wondering if it's not a bad pot in the HU or something.

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,906 Posts
well, the way these cars are, they visually tell you the volume if it's a factory radio.
try turning off that speed sensitive volume feature.
and what i meant by no, is that it doesn't really make a difference at all if you were to change that. i just remembered that there is a setup for it, and i did screw with it, but it was an absolute waste of time, and i don't exactly remember why.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I meant "it's too loud" I didnt mean too loud to listen, I meant the lowest level is still too loud to talk on phone or chat with passenger.

I always thought that the Vagcom had a setting for the lowest and loudest setting for volume.

·
Registered
12,065 Posts
Just wondering if it's not a bad pot in the HU or something.
That, it's not. The control isn't a mechanical potentiometer; I suspect the knob just sends a series of on/off pulses to the logic in the radio. The actual volume is a software function. Can you adjust the minimum? Beats me.

·
Banned
2,235 Posts
When I meant "it's too loud" I didnt mean too loud to listen, I meant the lowest level is still too loud to talk on phone or chat with passenger.

I always thought that the Vagcom had a setting for the lowest and loudest setting for volume.
That's strange. The lowest sound level in both my OEM HUs (one Monsoon, one not) were quiet enough to conduct a conversation.

·
Registered
12,065 Posts
(Checks both cars...) "Min" appears to be zero volume on mine. One click above is just audible, with the engine off. They're both exactly the same; I'd guess it's engineered that way. Any chance the OP's speakers might have been replaced with more sensitive ones?

·
Moderate Moderator
16,485 Posts
My single DIN non-monsoon OEM radio will volume down to absolute silence. At the last "click" of turning it down, the system will sound a "beep" through the speakers. My guess is your radio is broken. Do you know someone with the same model radio you could swap as a test? If the problem moves with the radio... it's the radio at fault.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Mikel212, my car has the same problem.
I posted a request for help a while back, but everyone thought I was nutzo also.

I spent several hours searching through the shop manual and experimenting with Vagcom. No luck. Through experimentation, I found there is a programming mode you can enter into on the Monsoon by pressing some combination of buttons which I've forgotten. It allows you to change your CDs to play in random mode and a few other things I've also forgotten. It also has a setting for changing the minimum volume level.

Mine was at 8, which is too loud for "minimum" and yours is probably also high. The problem was that while I could adjust whatever else was in the programming mode I couldn't adjust "minimum." So it's still at 8.

Let me know if you find the solution.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My single DIN non-monsoon OEM radio will volume down to absolute silence. At the last "click" of turning it down, the system will sound a "beep" through the speakers. My guess is your radio is broken. Do you know someone with the same model radio you could swap as a test? If the problem moves with the radio... it's the radio at fault.
Yes, the single din monsoon makes a beep at min. And min in the single din units means silent etc.

I always thought there should be a mute function for when you get a phone call or whatever. I had the option on aftermarket receivers I had in other cars, but apparently not on the Monsoon

·
Registered
12,065 Posts
I spent several hours searching through the shop manual and experimenting with Vagcom. No luck. Through experimentation, I found there is a programming mode you can enter into on the Monsoon by pressing some combination of buttons which I've forgotten. It allows you to change your CDs to play in random mode and a few other things I've also forgotten. It also has a setting for changing the minimum volume level.

Mine was at 8, which is too loud for "minimum" and yours is probably also high. The problem was that while I could adjust whatever else was in the programming mode I couldn't adjust "minimum." So it's still at 8.
Actually, that's right in the owner's manual for the radio - page 5. You press and hold the Dolby button for three seconds plus. What you're setting at that point is not the minimum volume level - there's no setting for that - but the default volume level. Normally the radio comes on at the last used volume, but you can set it to come on at a selectable fixed volume. Perfect if someone else uses the car and habitually leaves it turned up.

You can also enable a setting to increase volume automatically as the vehicle speed increases.

·
Registered
90 Posts
You read the owner's manual to find out how things work?
I read the shop manual to find out how to fix things I break. :lol:

·
Registered
505 Posts
Actually, that's right in the owner's manual for the radio - page 5. You press and hold the Dolby button for three seconds plus. What you're setting at that point is not the minimum volume level - there's no setting for that - but the default volume level. Normally the radio comes on at the last used volume, but you can set it to come on at a selectable fixed volume. Perfect if someone else uses the car and habitually leaves it turned up.

You can also enable a setting to increase volume automatically as the vehicle speed increases.
Yes, right in the manual. I have a 2003 1.8T GLS with a double-DIN Monsoon. However, you can set the default volume level exactly once as far as I can tell. After that, you will never see that capability again. I suppose you could somehow do a complete reset on the radio somehow and then reset it, but you would be allowed to do it only once before another complete reset.

As for the min volume level problem... WOw. Mine simply beeps and goes to min.

But wait... Is there a way to do a complete reset on the radio? By that, I mean set it back to the configuration it had when it was first installed in the car. Doing so might clear the not-min-enough volume problem.

·
Registered
12,065 Posts
I think you're on to something there. I, also, failed to see any way to return to the default setting; makes me glad I didn't experiment further with mine.

In the computer industry, we sometimes see unexpected behaviour from equipment; the only way to return it to normal operation is to reset the EEPROM that stores settings. I wonder if that's not the case with the radio.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Radio volume too loud

I posted about this problem last week. Someone responded to pull off the face and spray the volume control with WD 40. You have to unscrew the circuit board first . It works.

·
Registered
12,065 Posts
I posted about this problem last week. Someone responded to pull off the face and spray the volume control with WD 40. You have to unscrew the circuit board first . It works.
I'm almost sure that won't work. Was '"someone" talking about a B5 Passat? As far as I can tell, the volume control is not an analog potentiometer; it has no minimum or maximum setting, it just freewheels. This would indicate it's a simple momentary switch that sends a series of "up" or "down" pulses to the radio logic.

Even if it was a "POT", WD40 is the wrong stuff to use. Go to Radio Shack and pick up a can of "TV Tuner Cleaner."

1 - 20 of 25 Posts