Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people. Just wanted to share with you that this morning I cleaned the drains of my 2002 Passat GLX (removing the battery, of course) and afterwards, after remembering I don't have my radio code (single din), I hopelessly turned the stereo on, it went into SAFE mode for about half a second and then by itself, voilá....it displayed MONSOON and the music came on. Was I lucky? In total, the battery was disconnected for about 15 minutes.

Anyone else with a similar experience?

·
Registered
387 Posts
The Obamassiah fixed it for you.

Actually I want to say it will do that if you don't actually remove it from the car, my Jetta never required resetting until I replaced it with a DD unit, then put it back in later when the DD one didn't work like I wanted it to.

8,184 Posts
I found that if you have the uint off before you disconnect the battery...the issue doesn't seem to be there. I have read many where it does happen and you have to call the dealer for the code.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I found that if you have the uint off before you disconnect the battery...the issue doesn't seem to be there. I have read many where it does happen and you have to call the dealer for the code.
The dealer can give you the code? I thought that if you didn't know the code you were screwed. I am always worrying that the radio will come up requesting the code... and it did once! I hooked the battery back up and it displayed SAFE, then i messed around with the numbers, said dammit, unhooked the battery and hooked it back up, and it worked!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds logical....if the ECU didn't loose it's settings (¿capacitor power?) and the radio maintained a link with it, there is no case in going into safe mode. After all, the radio is monitored and linked to the ECU, or so I believe after seeing the original VAG-"com" (the VW one, not the rosstech one) probe the radio among every other system in the car.

·
he just thinks he's amazing. really. no kidding.
3,779 Posts
I've had it happen, too. I had to disconnect the battery, but didn't actually pull the radio from the car. It showed "Safe" at first, and I turned the ignition back off with no code to enter. I tried again anyway, and it showed "Safe" for a second, then started up normally with "Monsoon" and was fine after that.

8,184 Posts
The dealer can give you the code? I thought that if you didn't know the code you were screwed. I am always worrying that the radio will come up requesting the code... and it did once! I hooked the battery back up and it displayed SAFE, then i messed around with the numbers, said dammit, unhooked the battery and hooked it back up, and it worked!
Yes...would can either tell them your VIN # or pull the radio and see the back of it. It will have the # there too.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,745 Posts
B5.5s don't need the code as long as the radio came with that car. It "talks" to the car to verify that it is in the original vehicle. If you try to put it in another passat, it will need the code.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Yes...would can either tell them your VIN # or pull the radio and see the back of it. It will have the # there too.
This makes no sense. Isn't the idea that radios won't be stolen because the thief doesn't know the code and therefore can't make it work? Putting the code on the back of the radio defeats the whole scheme. Code on the paper label in the spare tire well (where it is in mine) I can understand.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts