Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any thing new out there for a nice "factory plus" head unit replacement? My stock lcd screen is completely faded. All I can see is the blue back light. It's not a huge deal since I use my phone via bluetooth for pandora but still just want to see if there are any new options out there since I haven't looked in a while. Thanks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've had about three different aftermarket head units in my Passat. I settled on a Joying Intel unit with Android 6, with the front panel buttons, and 2 GB of RAM with 32 GB of storage.

All of them were lots better than my stock stereo, which was a basic model with iPod support.

Depending on what you want to spend, there's a ton of options out there now as compared to just a few years ago.

For example, for under $160 you can get a WinCE system. It will have bluetooth, AM/FM and let you install your own navigation app, but the units with this technology are old, do not have active Internet connectivity (or let you use the Internet from your phone), and typically have zero support. I had one for 3 years and loved it compared to my stock one. I upgraded because of limited nav map support, but the rest worked great on the one I had.

In the $200-300 range, there's lots of Android units out there. With buttons, or touchscreen-only, from 7-10 inch screens. All have Wi-Fi (and Internet through your phone), bluetooth (pone/streaming), AM/FM, and most support external amps and OBDB connectivity.

Just make sure it comes with CANBUS support, which is usually a little box that's part of the wiring harness. Without it, you'll have issues with power and lights, and steering wheel buttons won't work.

I chose the Joying because of support. They have monthly updates and customer support that actually gets back to you. There's a very active community at XDA developers (myself included - I make radio and bluetooth app mods) that helps make the experience better.

The unit I bought is this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Joying-8-Android-6-0-Double-DIN-Auto-Stereo-AUX-Input-Special-Car-Radio-for-VW/272687733572?hash=item3f7d749b44:g:ki0AAOSwX9FZJ-Nv

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have the exact same one i love it minus the obdeleven does not see it keep giving me a message of in plausible signal but it works still

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am looking to go with this unit.

https://www.joyingauto.com/joying-us-warehouse-newest-android-octa-core-9-inch-vw-android-car-sound-system-head-unit-for-vw-skoda-caddy-cc.html

I had several emails back and forth with Joying, The associate (Mandy) was very responsive and helpful in recommending a unit to suit my vehicle. From what I can find the reviews are not bad.

My main interest in Joying is fit and function. Included canbus and integration with the factory information system is a big plus.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts