Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '99 1.8T's battery has died twice this week. Thus, I figured I need a new alternator. I took it to a local guy that some friends say is very good. He tells me my radio is draining my battery. Possible?

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Yes possible. There are many recent threads on battery drain. OP have found bad switches keeping lights on in glove box and trunk and HU keeping amp awake.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
What troubleshooting have you done to ensure it is not simply the battery itself? There are a lot of different ways to kill a battery. Assuming the guy you took it to actually did some troubleshooting, I'd go with his explanation over just assuming you need a new alternator.

SirSWired

·
Over 400K miles on my baby!
684 Posts
You are not leaving the key in ignition are you? Even in the off position that will kill a battery for sure..

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, I haven't left the key in the ignition. Mechanic tells me he went through a series of things to narrow it down to the battery. Basically, after the radio was taken out, the battery recharged itself. It's an aftermakert Blaupankt that I love, how can I fix this to keep my stereo?

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
He's full of crap. Removing a drain won't cause the battery to charge; it'll just keep it from draining any further.
All you have to do to REALLY find out if it's the radio is pull the fuse and see how the car behaves. I'm betting it's the battery at the end of it's life. To find out start the car and check the voltage at the battery. Then turn the car off and check the voltage every hour and see if it's dropping.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts