Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all:

So, I coughed up the $550 for a new radiator from the dealer (old thread). All's well until I turn on the AC today. It no longer blows cold air. Well, it's sort of cold -- maybe 1/3 of what it used to be.

Any thoughts on the service guys did to whack my AC? I'd like to arm myself with theories before my dealer begins making excuses.

BTW, VWoA offered no help on the radiator, even though it crapped out and developed a leak at 42,000 miles (granted, the car is a 1999)

David

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bumpety bump. Any thoughts, other than the distinct possibility that they just didn't reconnect the AC? Are AC leaks a problem after radiator replacement?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Dave

1. When you turn on the A/C check to see if the clutch is turning (if it is then the refridgerant is either or low or leaking

2. If the clutch is not turning that mean the system is not charged (either they let all the refridgerant out or it all leaked out

3. The warranties usually work like this either age or mile which ever one comes first so even if the radiator went before 50,000 miles the car was probably older
than five years.

4. How much time passed before you realized the A/C is not working like normal?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't notice right away because it has been a cool summer :sad: but I noticed two days later when I ran the AC. It's going back to the dealer tomorrow, and hopefully they'll step up. Just in time for a summer weather for a change.

David

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I can see you now at the service desk. The conversation will go something like this

"Mr. Sharp if you thought we did something to the A/C after we repaired you car you should have came back within 48 hours when our warranty was in effect."

Dave: So your telling me that you are not responsible?

Service Manager : I would be happy to check out the A/C for you free of charge
but if it needs to be repaired, I can give you a good price.

Dave: When I drove in the yard to drop off the car the A/C was working... now when I get it back the A/C is not as cold as it was before.

Service Manager: I don't know what to say Mr. Sharp we are not in the business to damage our customer's cars.

But seriously Dave I also have a 99 1.8t and the other day the A/C did not feel as cold as it should meaning It only felt partially cold on recirculate and did feel cold at all on fresh air I took it to the A/C shop and the put a can of 134A refrigerant in it and checked for leaks and low it is fine it just needed a recharge.

I suggest you have them check the pressure and check it for leaks but as how much it will cost because 9 times out of ten it will cost more and they don't even specialize in HVAC work.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Believe me, this was the sort of scenario playing through in my head: The car is old, the leak wasn't our fault, it was due for AC recharge anyway... But lo and behold, there's good news. The mechanic forgot to reattach the "pressure switch" to the compressor. The mechanic plugged it in, and voila -- cold air. There was no pressure check or any of that, so I'll hold my breath! It has been a great car, but it's not getting any younger. Then again, neither am I.

By the way, Phantom, did you get that conversation right out of the service manager handbook?

Happy to have cold air as it's finally hot and muggy here in Maine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.