Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled a decent original ZF R&P. It’s in immaculate condition except the inner rods movement has little resistance. Like when you lift one rod, it drops on its own weight.
Are they supposed to be stiff?
There is no lateral play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,200 Posts
As PZ mentioned in the other thread, as long as it doesn't have any play in the joint, it's ok. Me personally, if I were to swap out the rack on my car, I'd be putting new Tie rods in, too.

Reactions: axenstar

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
As PZ mentioned in the other thread, as long as it doesn't have any play in the joint, it's ok. Me personally, if I were to swap out the rack on my car, I'd be putting new Tie rods in, too.
Thanks.
Yes. I will swap the tire rods I installed new over the summer.
If I ever replace the inner tire rod, do you recommend putting grease on the joint?
I read that blue loctite is recommended on the thread.

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,200 Posts
You can, but I don't put any grease on there. It should already be lubed and since it is sealed up in the rack boot, there should not be a need to add more.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, I installed the original, junk yard found rack and pinion. It drove really smooth for the first 1000 miles.

Now they’re is a millimeter or two slack (left to right/right to left) in the steering wheel. It pronounce itself more on the highway.

Also, the steering got stiffer. Using chf11.
I did the bleeding procedure.

I appreciate the suggestions.

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,200 Posts
So, I installed the original, junk yard found rack and pinion. It drove really smooth for the first 1000 miles.

Now they’re is a millimeter or two slack (left to right/right to left) in the steering wheel. It pronounce itself more on the highway.

I appreciate the suggestions.

First, make sure all rack bolts are tight. Second, recheck the tie rods. Check the pump and lines as well. Anything else done to the suspension since then?

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First, make sure all rack bolts are tight. Second, recheck the tie rods. Check the pump and lines as well. Anything else done to the suspension since then?
I will do so.
The only thing that has been done after the R&P installation is the alignment. I will pull the wheels out and see if they trashed something there.

·
Registered
172 Posts

My hunch is there is air in the system. When I replaced my pump a few years ago, steering was fine at first but then I could tell it was kind of sluggish. Didn't have time to investigate or do anything so I just dove it. It cleared up on it's own. I suspect there was an air pocket that need to work it's way around the system.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lifted both wheels up. Did 9-3 pull push there is no play in tire rod ends.
It feel like the play is where the steering wheel is bolted to the rack. (Inside the R&P)

I flushed and de-aired the system. Still stiffer than when I installed it.

·
Registered
28,209 Posts
How is the alignment? Was this done after the last alignment or before? If after, too much toe-in will increase steering feel and delay response.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How is the alignment? Was this done after the last alignment or before? If after, too much toe-in will increase steering feel and delay response.
The alignment is now perfect. The car drives straight in highway almost a mile.

The inner tire rod was very easy to move up-down-right-left but no in and out movement in the joint. (It’s very difficult to move a new tire rod)

Would a bad inner tire rod manifest itself doing the 9-3 wiggle movement on wheel?

·
Registered
28,209 Posts
Yes, you will see it move.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Maybe check the hardware from your steering shaft to rack? Perhaps the clamping bolt is loose
Update:
I checked the steering shaft joint on the R&P connection.
For some reason it slid beyond the stop point. Loosened and re adjusted it.
Much smoother!

It still feels tighter compared to my brother’s Nissan Sentra. Will a new pump make it smoother?
It’s not leaking or whining. Just curious.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts