Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about getting another cheap car just for run about duty. Fould a rabbit for $600 and a golf I wanna go look at today. Any one here have experience with either cars? How reliable are they? I imagine since they're both older, electrical problems might be common.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
There is not as much electrical, however. Both of these cars will run forever. I had an 86 Jetta, bought it with 125,000 on broken odometer. I drove it for almost three years, and I drive around 35-40k a year. Only things ever done to it were timing belt, and starter. My brother had an 84 Rabbit. That car would have issues, at 200 k almost what would not, but somehow this car would rise from the ashes, every time you thought it was going to finally die, it just kept going.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I had an '84 Rabbit WE I purchased in '91 with 116k miles. Drove it thru college, it finally died (needed new brakes, radiator, tranny) at about 185k. I then got a '90 MkII Golf with 88K miles, it's still kicking (though needs some TLC) with 172K miles. I'm going to dive into it this summer, hopefully my wife will let me keep it, though for some reason she hates that car. I call it my "county car", i.e it doesn't leave the county. :)

When I had the Golf as my primary ride, I was putting in about $1500 a year in repairs. Hardly seems worth it in retrospect, but I bought it with cash and it was cheaper than a new car.

They're quirky, as any VW is. If you're patient (and have a good independent mechanic), and it's not your primary ride, you'll probably have to get stuff replaced a few times a year. Remember, these cars are now 12-25 years old, their days of reliability are most likely long past.

·
Lisa Simpson
15,044 Posts
Rabbit, of course!!

There is an active 8V thing going on here, you will just be one more of many. The MkIIs are a bit more reliable if you can find a CIS-E one, the Digi ones are very sensitive to electical problems. I personally worship at the altar of plain CIS as it is completely free of annoying electrical crap. It's almost a carburetor and very easy to troubleshoot and maintain.

I :heart: my Rabbit. Whenever I get fed up with the Passat and its few troubles, I go work on the Rabbit. It is a breath of fresh air (unless you are breathing the emissions!).

·
Reverend Arthur Dimmwit
3,988 Posts
Once you've had a Rabbit, you never go back. :thumbup:
Light, agile, quick, cheap, what more do you want?
I know: GALVANIZED. :wink:

We need a bunny icon.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, thats why I'm really wanting this rabbit...I love the simplicity of it. I've always had a thing for the simplicity of the CIS too. And oh, the sound of an 8v thats been breathed on a bit....almost as nice as a VR6 :bow: I really want it...looked at it today, its an 84, new brakes, new front appolstry, almost no rust ( little bit of surface rust on inner fender edges, one flakey spot of rust on driver side rocker panel and rear corner..thats it) , and only 106,000miles. No head liner though, and the passenger vent window has putty around it, looks like it could use new weather stripping. I hate to pass it up for $600, I've always wanted one to toy around with, and I've never seen one with this little rust, but I need to get an apartment soon and I'd hate to part with my passat.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I'm sorry to say to the Rabbit fans that I like MK 2's more, but I'm wondering if a MK2 16V GTI is a good beater. They're pretty peppy, 135HP or so I think, and there's tons of aftermarket out there for em. I've got a billion VW magazines and there seem to be a lot of people out there into restoring them into showcars. A British magazine I have, Performance VW, is mostly about Golfs, and most of the Golfs are MK 2's. 2 builders stated that it's a perfect time to buy MK2's cuz they're cheap and there's plenty of straight-bodied examples out there.

So would you pay a few grand or less for a high-mileage MK2? I found this while searching for local VWVortex sales:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1304551&postid=12734382#12734382

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Want reliable? Get an aircooled Beetle. :D

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
actually, I'd love an old beetle too, but that would require more body work than I'd like to tackle. I love the MK2's also, I've just always had a thing for the rabbits...there so small, and handle like a go-kart when done right. If I had one, I think I'd either drop a 2.0 16v with a 1.8 head in it, or a G60, you know, keepin it old school. Anyone see that blue 76 rabbit on the cover of last months eurotuner magazine? That thing was sweet. Done up with N.O.S. chrome trim and polished Jetta rims....brought a tear to my eye :cry:

·
Registered
667 Posts
yeah, the blue one was done by futrell. Passat 1.8T, old school interior, and polished syncro wheels, very nice indeed. I am in the process of putting together a mk2 coupe and cant wait until its done. If you purchase either, plan on investing a little money to keep it going each year. My coupe ran pretty well for a 13y/o car with 144,000+ miles on it. Picked it up in Tenn. and drove it back with a busted radiator for 2.5 hours, stopped twice to fill up the coolant tank with water. We replaced the radiator and the ISV and it was still going until I dropped it of for the swap. Drove it to MD with a VR6 in the trunk and it didn't let me down once (even with all the hills I had to climb)

I :heart: that car

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah, I've wanted an MK2 for awhile now too, with a swapped in VR6, but the more I think about it, I'd like to keep it old school...16V or G60. Maybe a G60 with a vortech blower just to be different :lol:

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
We almost picked up this cherry MK2 Golf a few months ago when we bought my fiancee's MK3 Golf. It was an 91, had 46,000 miles on it, and the dealer sold it out from under me. Anyhow, I'd trade in the MK3 at this point any day for EITHER a Rabbit or MK2, can't go wrong.

12:30 -- "I'll be over there at 2:00 with cash for the car, can you start processing the paperwork"
"Sure Mr. Telep, no problem"

2:00 -- "I'm here to pick up that MK2"
"Oh I'm sorry, we just sold it at 1:00, if we get another we'll call you... have you seen the NEW Golf?"
"WTF! Why would I buy a new golf if I came in for a MK2?!?!?!"

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
10 Participants
Gurft
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing