Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which one is better?

Before beginning the discussion I have some ground rules:

- You can only compare the two cars to a 2000 Passat w/ Modifications or to a 2004 Passat w/o Modifications.

- You CANNOT mention the WRX in this thread. It is irrelevant to the discussion.

- You CANNOT use the following items for comparison... HP, Interior Quality, Fit & Finish, Coil Packs or Exterior Design.

:D

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
lemme add one more:

- You CANNOT make the comparison anymore! :wink: j/k

By the way, why does ground rule #1 exist if we are comparing the R32 and 9-2x? :???:

I actually like the WRX, errrr....9-2X's exterior styling :wink:. However, if price was no object, I would still take the R32. It's going to be a little more rare and has a nice, torquey N/A V6 to pull my motorcycle trailer... :lol:

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
9-2X by a FAR shot!

-more tunable motor
-lower weight, maybe around 3100-3200 lbs. Prob much more even f/r weight distribution and less understeer as well).
-Subaru's reliability (did not mention 'wrx') w/ Saab's luxury servicing
-chicks and/or business clients prob dig the Saab brand more than VW
-personally like the SAAB image more than VW.
-more established aftermarket options, for obvious reasons.
-maybe cheaper insurance rates
-slightly cheaper MSRP
-more interior room

The R32 has no advantage over the 9-2X, unless I'm looking to build an all-motor car.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah... I was just being lame... not really serious about my "rules".... you guys can talk about whatever criteria.

serously... I'm more partial to the Saab. However, I'm not happy with the break in the traditional Saab interior.

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
G35 coupe. Unless you're an AWD whore (not that the R32 has a real AWD system anyways... :roll: :poke: ).

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
depends on what I needed...if i wanted something that was strictly fun I'd get the R32 but certainly the 9-2x is probably more functional...and I would think they both have their very strong points

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
All Saabs remind me of the ugly, horrible Saab 96, I just can't help it. I hated that car so much already as a kid that I promised myself I will never buy a Saab. And I haven't yet seen a good enough reason to break that promise.
:puke:
:puke:

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
All Saabs are ugly? That's funny, I thought the same way up until the recent 9-3 came out. This is a Saab I'd like to get. Let's see if we can change your mind: :lol:

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
ACE said:
All Saabs are ugly? That's funny, I thought the same way up until the recent 9-3 came out. This is a Saab I'd like to get. Let's see if we can change your mind: :lol:
I didn't say all Saabs are ugly. I just said that a Saab, any Saab reminds me of the days when Saab was still a small, independent, struggling automaker producing cars that were more or less weird. One of those cars was a joke, an insult to every car enthusiast - the aforementioned Saab 96. That soapbox should never even have been called 'a car'.

9-3 is not ugly. But it's still a Saab (built on Opel Vectra platform though) and there's still something funky about it. Something that doesn't let me break my promise. Maybe it's just the name, I have the same problem with Skoda. Every Skoda just reminds me of the rear-engine shitbox Skoda 120L:

But that's another story... :wink:

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
waGner said:
One of those cars was a joke, an insult to every car enthusiast - the aforementioned Saab 96. That soapbox should never even have been called 'a car'.
You mean the soapbox that obliterated everyone during any of the Monte Carlo Rallies it entered? Unmodified? Oh yes, a slap to all enthusiasts.

Go drive one - thats all it takes!

·
Registered
811 Posts
HalfGreek said:
Which one is better?

:D
I have a couple of 907K MP3's of an R32 going through the twisties. Courtesy of another R32 owner.

I can email them (or maybe somebody would be so gracious as to host them for a little while) to you.

Give you a chance to listen to what I hear everyday. :D

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
Horizontally opposed engines make pretty neat noise too. It may be more muffled on the 9-2X, we'll see, but we know there will be a bazillion options available to open it up.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
TDIBUGMAN said:
You mean the soapbox that obliterated everyone during any of the Monte Carlo Rallies it entered? Unmodified? Oh yes, a slap to all enthusiasts.
I give Saab credit for the 96's front wheel drive, that's what made all the difference at the time. And I'm a big fan of Simo Lampinen, a fellow Finn. I give him even more credit.

TDIBUGMAN said:
Go drive one - thats all it takes!
I have driven one - several times and don't get me wrong, it's not really that bad to drive. It's the horrible bodystyle that they kept almost unchanged from the 50's (93) to 1980 and the unforgettably awful noise of the V4 engine that I hate. I can't get over it. :wink: But this is going off-topic now. Personally, I would choose R32. I have nothing against Subaru, I just don't see why I would want to buy a slower, rebranded "Saabaru".

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
13 Participants
waGner
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing