Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone look at the R32 Pedal Set at TMTuning.com It states that it fits the New Passat. I like the look of the Automatic Pheaton Pedals. Fits any automatic transmission VW '98 and up. This is to good to be true.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I bought R32 (automatic) pedals for my Passat W8 Tip - they didn't fit or come anywhere close to fitting so I sold them again on Ebay...

I'm now looking at Phaeton pedals instead...although I believe the gas pedal does not fit the Passat, only the brake. I understand it's an Audi TT pedal that's required for the gas...

·
Registered
40 Posts
You had better try them before you buy. The pictured dead pedal will definitely not work as the mounting hole is on the wrong side and it has a curve at the base which does not conform to the retangular shape of the 2002-4 Passat dead pedal base.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Bump this post. Any solid data on this, what fits?

Also can you buy pedals individually or only as a set.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Marie said:
You had better try them before you buy. The pictured dead pedal will definitely not work as the mounting hole is on the wrong side and it has a curve at the base which does not conform to the retangular shape of the 2002-4 Passat dead pedal base.
The TT dead pedal will work if you install it upside down, from what I heard. The Phaeton gas pedal fits, so the only piece left to find is a gas pedal but it would have look similar to the other two.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Apparently the R pedals fit the Euro Passats. I have a set coming from TMTuning for mine (and I sent him photos of my pedals to confirm) so I will post on this when I get them and fit them...

Cheers
Ram

·
Registered
246 Posts
Got a Phaeton brake pedal (auto) and an Audi TT gas pedal today for my UK spec W8.

On first look, the brake pedal is quite a bit smaller than the original fit on the car...

I'll hopefully be installing them this weekend so will let you know how it all goes (will take photos during installation).

Chris

·
Registered
332 Posts
I tried installing 337 pedals which are the same size as TT and they didn't even come close to fitting. The passat pedals are much bigger!

There is a post in the classifieds and maybe even the GB forum about Phaeton pedals and they supposedly fit perfect. They can be had in auto or manaul configuration as well.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I received a phaeton brake and gas pedal kit from Hillside imports.

My car is a '99 GLS 1.8t tiptronic.

Here is my experience installing the pedals

Gas pedal: the pedal I receive is designed for cars with the DBW throttle so the modification to did for the install were pretty simply.

I straightened out the pedal by laying it on a flat surface and applied pressure until the contour matched the DBC throttle pedal.

For attaching the pedal I opted to used two side tape but I had to build up the center so that if would meet with flush with the rest of the pedal.

Along with the two sided tape I also used "liquid nails" super glue to hold the pedal.

I did this with hoping that it would hold, I was not very confident but so far if has been two week and I have no issues yet.

Brake pedal: I thought that the brake pedal would be the easy part of the install but some how this one really frustrated me.

The pedal cover is designed to fit of the the metal pedal in the car and attach with the two holes in the pedal along with rubber that goes around the perimeter of the pedal.

I was having trouble getting the peg on the left side of the pedal to fit so I trimmed the peg. I did not correct the fit problem.

I later realized that the reason why it was not fitting was because some of the metal on the brake pedal of the car had to be shave off with a dremel so that the pedal cover would fit like it was supposed to.

So if I were to advise any one about adding these to a B5 car I would tell them this is definitely not a plug and play install.

I would also tell them to trim the left edge of the pedal before the consider trimming the peg on the left side of the pedal.

Both of the covers have been on now for a little more that two weeks and none have threaten to fall off or move. So I am satisfied and love the way they look.

Like every one above says buyer beware.

The one thing that compounded my frustration was the fact that when I got the pedal covers I commence to install them after 10pm and was done at 12:30 am

Most of the time was eaten up by me having to cut and grind off the edge of the pedal that was preventing a good fit of the brake pedal. the metal is very thick and if you don't have the right bit for you dremel I only take longer.

I had started to regret removing my Momo pedal but I love the OEM look of the pedals. I had to change them since I am trying to build what if feel the GLI version of a 99 Passat 1.8t would be inside and out.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Yes Dub they do make an Auto R32. It is call the R32 DSG
You know a Marc Golz and Kokopelli put the R32 steering with the paddle shifters in their cars where did you think they got them from.

The DSG tranny is not really and auto it is more like a manual with out clutch pedal. for the 6 forward gears they are placed on two different shaft both have a cluth so everytime you shift a gear it is like instant into the other gear.

You can put it in drive and the TCU would fire the solenoids for you.

·
Banned
4,653 Posts
I'm installing some Phaeton pedals tomorrow, for Tip trans, and I'll try to get pictures and post some instructions.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Right...

I got the Phaeton Auto brake pedal (part no. 3D2 723 173 A) for my RHD Passat W8...and I have exactly the same problem as I had with the R32 pedal set I bought previously.

My original rubber pedal cover and the metal beneath is a good inch wider then the Phaeton pedal cover...too much for me to simply dremel away.

The Audi TT gas pedal cover (part no. 8N2 721 647 B) is also a lot smaller than the one on the Passat so would need some major surgery to fix to the pedal...

Installation was aborted for now until I can come up with a better solution...or different parts.

Can any of you guys that have successfully installed VW group pedal covers let me know the part numbers you used...?

Chris

·
Registered
246 Posts
jwil said:
I'm installing some Phaeton pedals tomorrow, for Tip trans, and I'll try to get pictures and post some instructions.
Any luck with this install ?

The ones I bought here in the UK do not come close to fitting without major surgery.

Anyone have approx dimensions for the Phaeton pedal covers you've successfully fitted to a Tiptronic B5.5 ? I'm beginning to suspect that the covers available in the UK are a different size (i.e. smaller) than the ones you have in the US...

Cheers

Chris

·
Registered
606 Posts
Chris, do you have a picture of these ??

I am getting my B5.5 next week, and although it is a manual, i'm interested in fitting pedal covers if there are some that fit.

If only there were the same options as the Golf i.e TT / Anni / R32 covers :(

1 - 20 of 20 Posts