Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I notice one of my B5.5's lamps vibrates - I notice it when I'm stopped behind another car - the light from the lamp is shaky. Symptom of a problem or just a "VW feature?"

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I think it has something to do with the light bulb and bulb harness itself. Shimming and damping the big headlight housing had no effect on my headlight wiggle.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I noticed my left headlight shaking after I installed my Hid look alikes.

Then I changed all three motor mounts and the shaking decreased.

Then I changed the tranny mounts and not I get a little shaking when the a/c is on but none when it is off.

So I guess it is a combination of worn mounts and an A/C compressor that may have worn bearing.

I will I could find the solution because is those little niggling things that creep up on us.

Can all of you with this problem give how many miles you have on your car?

99 with 70572 miles tiptronic

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
2001.5 w/ 78k, tiptronic. Passenger-side headlight shaking since about 30k.

I do lots of highway miles, so I rarely notice it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
48,000 miles -- jiggling since delivery at 45,000 --- Asked dealer service center (who I have lost trust in since) --> Their response was that it was normal. Although they just said, you get a little vibration in these cars.

Aschendel -- Any chance you could find out what they did so that I could hold VW to an actual problem while I'm under warranty? I've since moved and will be dealing with a new dealer -hopefully better - but, in case its the same, I'd like to know.

Mine, like the original guy, is the passenger light and it only does it when stopped and in gear. Placing it in park removes the problem.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I have looked at the construction of the headlight and I think the vibration is related to how the reflecto is mounted inside the housing.

The mounts on the inside seem to have a soft rubber (silicone) that is used as a buffer on the reflector mount I believe it deteriorates with the heat generated by the head light it self maybe if we can tighten the screw it will stop again.

Maybe we should ask some Audi A4 owners if they notice this problem as well.
then maybe we can narrow the problem down to a certain area.

I dont think it would hurt to crank down on the bolts that hold the headlight mount to the Radiator support.

My real theory is that the vibration is carried from the front mount and it is transferred to the headlight reflectors. The front mount design is strange at best most mounts have a dedicated mounting but the front mount is allowed to freely inside it containment area so when the car is at idle and the A/C is on the added vibration caused by the A/C compressor gets spead over the whole radiator assembly.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Welcome all to the shaky headlight club. This has been a constant problem on my 01.5 passat since 500 miles on the car. I have had both headlight assemblies replaced. At about 30,000 miles I had the dealer check it out again, but this time they completely broke the inside assembly by messing with it... to make a long story short, I wanted to get to the bottom of this. I bought a broken B5.5 headlight assembly on ebay and attempted to take it apart.... its a sealed part, so there is no way to take it apart to fix anything. I took out a saw and cut the thing apart.

The problems stem from a poorly engineered design. There are 3 clips that hold the inside assembly to the outside assembly. These clips are too small to support the inside part, so therefore it shakes. There is no good fix for it besides buying a new assembly.

For those who are more interested in seeing the insides, PM me and I will email you some pics.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.