Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i dont know if anyone knows but maybe 1 week and a half ago i had my timing belt done at the place i get all my parts from. I have spent about 3 grand at his shop. I had them do my drop..paint my grill,apr tune, mostly everything for my car. They did my timing belt for 750..good price so i figured id have them do a synthetic oil change for my car too while they were in there. Well they charged me 70 i believe for the oil change..which didnt make me too angry because the dealership wanted 60. So i figured what the hell get it all done at once. Well turns out they broke my oil dipstick funnel. They told me they dry rot or w/e and its not their fault..they said it an inexpensive part so i didnt care. Plus im sure if i got my oil change at the dealer and they broke it they would have not told me. Well anyway no problem i trust them. So he said he had to order the part and had me wait maybe a week to get it. So i go there today thinking big whoop it will be maybe 10 dollars or so. They take my car about 5-10 minutes its gone and they fix the funnel. Then they tell me 35 dollars. Im like WTF thats some expensive piece of plastic. Still no big deal I trust they arent ripping me off. I then get home hurry to check ECS to see that these funnels cost 5-10 dollars. Not sure which is for my car (b5.5 2002 passat). Either way im quite pissed. I wanted to consult what PW think before i call him tommorow and ask him WTF is the deal and that he owes me 25 dollars back... Im quite pissed and i dont think ill be taking my car to him anymore after this. Anyway thanks for the help..i know its a long read :(

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes your quite right but i wasnt going to care if it was 10 dollars..but am i correct that this part they broke cost 5-10 dollars? i just dont know if im looking at the wrong part maybe or something...if this is the right price im def calling tommorow and yelling. This isnt how you treat a loyal customer.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the part is about $10. if they broke it, then you should get $35 back regardless. if they didn't break it then what they charged was a little high, but still acceptable.
thanks d passat. Im calling them tommorow and going to explain to them thats its pretty fucked up what they did.

and D passat..got a question..Do you ever sleep? :crazy:

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
i would only do that if you're 1000% sure they broke it. these are really common to break. and they are a business trying to make money, it sounds fair they probably have a minimum labor charge of $25 or something.

·
needs more cowbell
5,945 Posts
i would only do that if you're 1000% sure they broke it. these are really common to break. and they are a business trying to make money, it sounds fair they probably have a minimum labor charge of $25 or something.
i agree with this statement. it's not worth losing your shop over $25 bucks.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Those funnels break pretty easily as they do dry out - he may have broke it but it was going to go anyway. If he paid $10 for the part and charged you $25 for labor, then I think that sounds fair. I especially don't think its worth losing your trusted shop over - I'm guessing he's given you breaks on labor charges in the past and you didn't go back complaining that he didn't charge you enough.

·
Founder of the STFA
8,664 Posts
For the amount of work you've done with them, the fact that it broke while they were checking the oil and overall good customer service, I think charging you for the part and zero labor would be the right answer. They could have also given you the option of putting it on yourself, don't know how much DIY you do, but if you're skills are a 2 on a 1-10 scale you could handle it.

·
1st Gear
17,567 Posts
Agreed, this part breaks ALL the time......I just got one AT A DEALER for $5. Im sure they had to charge you something to put it on....its only fair.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I broke mine, it cost $12 at RRVW and they didn't charge me to install it, had a OC done at the same time. They do rot.
mine broke the day i bought the car (81k on it) went back to the dealer and complained and they put a new one on free:D

since this shop broke it then they should be paying for it. and it really shouldnt have taken them a week to get one.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ok turns out i called him and i was right. they didnt break it. it dry rotted and he said it cost him 10 dollars for the part and 25 for labor. He said if im upset he would be happy to refund my money or give me a discount on some new parts and i refused. Told him that it was just a misunderstanding then. Hopefully hes not too pissed off at me cuz i would like to go back to him again for more stuff :/

i told him i didnt mean to sound like an ass before i said anything but i think he still took it offensively :(

o well everyone turns out you all were right..probably should've waited to hear everyones opinion before calling him up.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.