Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently riding on 225/50/ZR16 (daily) Ecsta Supras and they are getting pretty loud. Is this normal or ?. What tire do you guys suggest to get that's more quiet and comfortable without costing too much?

Good for 18's too? (other set in need of rubber)

TIA

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Re: Quiet, comfortable, and inexpensive tire to replace Kumhos? (3U36)

Falken Azenis ST-115's are supposed to be silent.
Furiator has 'em on this board, so he can comment on 'em. In 225/40/18, they're $136/corner from EdgeRacing.com. $142/corner from DiscountTireDirect.com, but they ship freee!

A couple reviews:
http://www.audiworld.com/reviews/wheels/wheels13.shtml
http://www.carsound.com/reviews/performance/Falken_AZENIS_ST115.html
http://forums.audiworld.com/wheel/msgs/51515.phtml
http://www.wrx.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=48

Here's is stuff ripped off their website:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>ULTRA HIGH PERFORMANCE SILENT TIRE

Base tread rubber compound contains micro vacuum capsules that literally suck up road noise.

Micro vacuum capsules also provide high stiffness on base tread for excellent handling stability.

Attractive low profile and rounded shoulder design.

Wide circumferential grooves and unidirectional tread design help provide excellent wet-weather performance.

Sidewall and shoulder block reinforcement for long life.

Excellent endurance and durability, high heat resistance

TIRE SIZE OFFERINGS
215/50R17
215/45ZR17
225/45ZR17
235/45ZR17
245/45ZR17
235/40ZR17
255/40ZR17
255/45ZR18
225/40ZR18
235/40ZR18
245/40ZR18
255/35ZR18
265/35ZR18
245/35ZR19
275/30ZR19
245/40ZR20

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
347 Posts

check out the Sumitomo HTR+ over @ tirerack.com...great performance and reduced noise for the price.

click on my sig for pics.

·
Registered
147 Posts

I have got Dunlop Sport SP 2 for about 3k miles. So far so good, Consumer Reports gave them a good rating and they were about 85 bucks for your size @ tire rack

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Re: Quiet, comfortable, and inexpensive tire to replace...

My kumhos got really lound after the first rotation. Before that they were fine. I have heard several people complain about any directional tire being loud after rotating. My solution from now on is to not rotate and replace 2 at a time. Not the best, but i'm tired of listening to that roaring sound...

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Quiet, comfortable, and inexpensive tire to replace... (hotani)

That's what I'm getting right now. Initially they were OK and noise wasn't really an issue. But now I can't help but be annoyed by the volume of the tires now. So I take it that rotating would only make the problem worse? I almost want to put the adelaides with the stock michelins back on the car just to see how quiet it can be with different tires.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Re: Quiet, comfortable, and inexpensive tire to replace... (3U36)

have your kumhos ever been rotated? If they are getting noisy even without a rotation, I might consider replacing mine with something different next time; I was under the impression that the rear camber was causing the problem, so when the rears were brought up front the noise started.

<![CDATA[have your kumhos ever been rotated? If they are getting noisy even without a rotation, I might consider replacing mine with something different next time; I was under the impression that the rear camber was causing the problem, so when the rears were brought up front the noise started.

[Modified by hotani, 9:13 PM 10/29/2002]

·
Registered
88 Posts
Re: Quiet, comfortable, and inexpensive tire to replace... (hotani)

I have the Falken st 115's and they might be the best tires i have ever owned. I have 245/17's they stick like crazy and really are almost silent. I have had a fair amount of high po. tires and i love the Falkens.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts