Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of nights ago, I was driving down the street, and my brake wear warning light went off, telling me to check my brake pads. I'm pretty liberal about maintaining my car, and making sure everything is in working order, so I of course had no idea why it had gone off. I pulled over, looked at the front pads, and sure enough, they had 55-60% life left. Figuring maybe by some freak accident I had completely worn out my inside pads, I made a mental note to pull my wheels and check later in the week. When I did, I found... well, nothing. They were perfectly fine, as were all of the wires leading to the brake sensor. I guess my question is, does the brake sensor often go off without reason? Maybe I just have no idea how to check brakes...

For reference, I have Axxis Ultimate pads on the front, with Zimmerman X-Drilled rotors.

My rears (although it shouldn't matter) are OE Brembo rotors, with Axxis Metal Master pads...

Any help is appreciated, I am a pretty agressive driver, and I really task my brakes a lot, so if something is wrong with them, it's fairly important that I know.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
did you check the brake sensor wires, to make sure that it wasn't wearing or torn somewhere? it could've snagged somewhere, and if there isn't a complete circuit, then the brake light will go on.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
D.Passat00 said:
did you check the brake sensor wires, to make sure that it wasn't wearing or torn somewhere? it could've snagged somewhere, and if there isn't a complete circuit, then the brake light will go on.
Yup, I didn't have stands so I was weary of putting my head or anything else near or under the car on my stock tire jack. I didn't do a detailed scan of everything, but I did look at everything I could see without going under the car, and I looked at the wires pretty closely, I didn't see anything that would trip the sensor. That's what has me so confused, I can't understand why it would have gone on.

·
Registered
352 Posts
did u check:
ur brake fluids?
all four brakes(front and rear/inner&outer pads)?
have you driven through any sort of high water, or muddy area?
is the light always on, or those it randomly go off at any given time?

sometimes when u drive through slightly high water dirt can cause sensors to go off. also, if you dont do the brakes yourself, you should take it back and have them check it out....otherwise(if you do the work urself) take out the sensors and clean them up.

if cleaning the sensors (and the brakes are all good) then you might have a faulty sensor, the VAG should tell youwhich sensor is the bad one.......

good luck

ALfredo

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.