Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I just wanted to know if those of you who change their own oil, change the drain plug also? Reason I ask is that looking at the ecs tuning 3k maintence kit they list a drain plug. Should I purchase one and replace at every oil change?

vnwbe

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Hey all, I just wanted to know if those of you who change their own oil, change the drain plug also? Reason I ask is that looking at the ecs tuning 3k maintence kit they list a drain plug. Should I purchase one and replace at every oil change?

vnwbe
No, I've got 113k on my 2000 and haven't changed copper ring or plug yet and no leaks. Just wipe surface where ring sits and reuse both.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had never heard of this either, but this is my first vw. So I want to make sure that i am doing everything correctly.

Thanks
vwnbe

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Yeah just the ring that seats with the drain plug. Most of the time my dealer gives me a new one when I buy the filter from them.

·
Registered
50 Posts
i had to replace mine cuz i didn't get a metric wrench... i basically ruined my bolt thread so i had to get another one. other than that, i think i could have used it til' the car crapped out on me. also, in the later years of the car, you might want to get a magetized bolt for all the loose metal stuff around your oil.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts