Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We decided to trade in the passat for an 08 scion tc. The problem is, is I need to get it to the dealer and let them look at it without them knowing about or seeing the oil light. Is there like a sensor I can unplug, or something of the sorts so i don't have to drop the pan and clean the oil pick up tube filter? or even replace the oil pump?

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,904 Posts
We decided to trade in the passat for an 08 scion tc. The problem is, is I need to get it to the dealer and let them look at it without them knowing about or seeing the oil light. Is there like a sensor I can unplug, or something of the sorts so i don't have to drop the pan and clean the oil pick up tube filter? or even replace the oil pump?
if you have the oil pressure light, the engine is most likely toast.
first thing to do is check the oil level. when you pull the dipstick, wipe it, put it back in, and pull it again checking both sides.

after that, it may become necessary to look into sludge issues. remove the oil cap, and take a gander inside to see if sludge is prevalent, heck, post a pic up, looking into the oil hole.

after those two check out, next thing to do is to remove the pan.
it's imperative to see if the pick up tube is damaged or clogged. both of these will result in nothing but air or nothing at all being "pick upped."

it's also very underhanded to shortcut this kind of thing when selling the car. think of the poor next owner that's going to have to go through thousands of dollars worth of crap because he/she may not know all about these issues.
BIG :thumbdown

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,159 Posts
Isn't selling something of value, while having knowingly concealed a major flaw that diminishes it's worth, called "fraud"? Might want to watch that...

·
Registered
378 Posts
Hey great job asking us to help in such a shady transaction, because none of us even like our car that we want others who happen to get it, suffer for our own dislike.

Suck it up on the trade in, don't get anything fixed and "take the loss" or find out what the problem is and fix it and get "full trade in value." :censored:

·
What time is Matlock on?
17,312 Posts
oh man.....big :thumbdown if all you're looking to do is cover it up just to get rid of it.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
I suppose this attitude is why we don't buy Ferraris. So I don't blame this guy for wanting to shaft a dealer the way it's been done to us many times before.

·
Resident a-hole knowitall
15,711 Posts
when you trade the car in and they go to assess your car just tell them they cant start it. that away the light wont come on :thumbup:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's not like the next owner can't get it fixed under warranty. I just can't because i didn't keep documentation of my oil changes. If i have to drop the pan and clean the pick up tube/filter i will. i have a couple of days anyway. I was just wanting to be lazy. So don't judge me based on this.

edit: and the light doesnt come on when you start the car and idle. it comes on when you start actually driving it.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
Have an oil pressure test done. If it's normal, replace the sensor, if it isn't, drop the pan and start cleaning.

Unless the car is sold as a CPO, they won't be able to get it fixed under warranty. Even if they could, that just would shift the bill to the dealer, who shouldn't have to pay it either, if you covered up a known major issue.

Wanting to cover up a major problem isn't "being lazy", it's "being cheap". "Being lazy" would be wondering if there was a way to actually fix the problem without dropping the pan, but fixing it nonetheless, which it now sounds like you are going to do.

SirWired

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i cant seem to find out how to check the oil pressure. can anyone help me out? i did an oil change last night with mobil 1 0-40 hoping it would help and it didnt

edit: and what is the easiest way to go about dropping the oil pan? i don't have an engine lift or anything like that. i don't even have any chains. just 4 jack stands and a jack.

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,904 Posts
i cant seem to find out how to check the oil pressure. can anyone help me out? i did an oil change last night with mobil 1 0-40 hoping it would help and it didnt

edit: and what is the easiest way to go about dropping the oil pan? i don't have an engine lift or anything like that. i don't even have any chains. just 4 jack stands and a jack.
ok, i'm starting to think that your oil pick up tube could possibly be cracked at a low enough point to pick up the oil when at idle, but when spooling faster, must get air...

can't think of much else....
overfill your engine to 5.2 quarts, and see if that solves the problem.

overfilling is actually a ford recomended approach to diagnosing the pick up tube failure in some vehicles.

-overfill the crank case
-lift rear of vehicle up, thus sending all oil to the front of the engine
-should read normal pressures.

even just overfilling slightly may be just enough to eliminate the pick up tube crack, if it's this finely tuned of a problem.

couple warnings, however.
DO NOT continue to drive the car regularly with the overfilled crank case.
once you find the problem, replace whatever is the cause, asap.

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,159 Posts
ok, i'm starting to think that your oil pick up tube could possibly be cracked at a low enough point to pick up the oil when at idle, but when spooling faster, must get air...

can't think of much else....
Didn't the previous poster say the sensor doesn't report below a certain RPM?

From personal experience, I know the oil pressure with a bad pickup tube can vary oddly with RPM. I once limped home 200 miles in a sludged Jetta by carefully keeping the RPM where the pressure was highest. Of course, I had an actual pressure gauge. As I recall, it was best just below 3000 RPM - lower or higher gave less pressure.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts