Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi...tracking down a leak in my 99 B5.

Do the front sunroof drain tubes go directly into the rubber nipple at the end? The one on the left side is a lot stiffer, while it is easy for me to push the rubber nipple in on the right side.

My water leak seems to be puddling in the right rear footwell, and so far (thanks to searching these forums), I have checked the drain holes under the battery and the pollen filter, and they look OK. Don't know how the front could cause a puddle in the read, but just could be the way the water is travelling.

Also, if the tube is supposed to end outside the metal, and into the nipple, how does one push the tube back in? If I have to take of the covering on the A pillar to get at it, any help would be appreciated.

I have yet to check the rear drain tubes, due to time constraints, but have found the procedure to access the tubes through the trunk.

TIA...Eric

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi

Im in the same situation. I just checked the two front drains and are ok. Now I need to find the two rear drains and the battery drains. I will try to check too the AC drain...I really suspect this is the problem in my case.
Could you tell me how to find the rear sunroof drains?

Thanks a lot

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
First of all, have you gotten under the car and removed the rubber bungs under the battery and the brake master cylinder? They're mounted in the sheet metal just above the steering rack -- they're a little tricky to get hold of, but if you've never cleaned them before you'll find a nice pile of seeds and dead leaves clogging them. Just pull them out and throw them away. Gravity will make the water drain down and out all by itself, it doesn't need rubber bungs to help it.

Regarding the sunroof drains: If you're feeling dangerous, you could stuff an air compressor nozzle into the top of the drain and see what you can blow out the bottom.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I pulled the battery out, and poke down the rubber with a finger in one and a bent coat hanger in the other. They were clean (I do this twice a year).

Unfortunately, I don't have an air compressor (just a 9 volt for my tires, but could jury rig a fitting on that), and I'm a little leery about trying to snake them out with a speedo cable (have seen one guy on the forum that did this, and caused further issues, sorry i don't remember his name).

I too have an issue seeing the rear drain holes...however, there is a PDF diagram in here that shows where they are, and was very helpful. Still can't see them, however :confused:

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm afraid of pulling the battery out. I have a pre-owned car and I don't have the radio code. I have a 2003 Passat GLX, do you think the trick of letting off the radio for 24h could work in my case?

·
Registered
28,326 Posts
I'm afraid of pulling the battery out. I have a pre-owned car and I don't have the radio code. I have a 2003 Passat GLX, do you think the trick of letting off the radio for 24h could work in my case?
The radio is keyed to the car (on all 2000+ models). As long as it is used in the same car, you can unlpug it or the battery.

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
It's better to just remove the firewall drains. They provide absolutely no benefit -- they're a classic example of fixing a problem that doesn't really exist.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Understood, and thanks...

Still doesn't answer my original questions, though.

Eric
You clean the sunroof drains with a flexible cable like a speedometer cable. The front is accessed from the top at the front of the sunroof channel. The rear drains are accessed from the drain plug behind the rear wheel well. IMO, the easiest way is to remove the rear bumper cover on the sedan to gain access to the rear drains. It's about 7 torx screws (one in each wheel well, 3 underneath, and 2 inside the trunk lip) but you'll probably need two people one on each side of the bumper cover to remove/install. Did you open the sunroof and pour water down the front and rear sides of the sunroof channel to see if the water drains out the front and back drains? If water drains out, they don't need cleaned.

At the drain ends the drain hose goes into the drain sleeve/nipple that allows the water. The hose does not extend out the end of the sleeve.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks...

Perhaps I didn't quite describe the hose to the nipple fit quite correctly. What I meant was the the bottom of the hose should end inside the rubber nipple right where the angular rubber starts converging to form the nipple.

That's what it "feels" like on the left, but not the right.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
I justed checked mine and I can not feel the hose. Looking at a diagram in Bentley's, the hose is shown ending before it would exit the body metal although it appears there is nothing to prevent the hose from being pushed further into the sleeve and actually out the end of the nipple.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for checking the manual, Ken...weird how the left is so much stiffer than the right, then.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm having the same issue with my 2000 Passat B5. Is there a picture so I can find the sunroof front drain holes. Do they come out in the front doors or what?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts