Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my first question, at what point does the factory exhaust system become a problem? No offense to anyone, but I really do not like the ricer sound of a 4 cylinder with an exhaust, so i would like to keep my factory exhaust system if at all possible. I do plan on installing a test pipe, but other than that, id like to keep it factory. Im going to get a 91 tune for my car for the k03, but my car is getting a few miles on it, and when the turbo goes out, id like to replace it with a k04. Will my k03 tune perform ok with a k04 charger? and are any of the ebay test pipes decent?

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,745 Posts
K04 is when you should start looking for exhausts. You haven't heard the right exhaust on these 1.8t's yet. You'll change your mind. Techtonics tuning makes a nice one.

·
Moderate Moderator
16,485 Posts
Techtonics Tuning makes a nice one.
I second that. The sound is slightly louder but not overly ricey like you hear from those cars running coffee-can exhaust systems. Do some YouTube searches and listen for yourself.

Swapping the CAT for a test pipe will create a bit more sound.

A K04 works best with a K04 specific tune. Choose a tuning company that offers an upgrade path for when the time comes to swap your K03 for a K04.

Any ebay product will only be as good as the manufacturer and seller make it. A name brand from an ebay source should have the name brand quality unless it's a knockoff. I'm running the ECS stainless pipe. It's good quality and fits like it's supposed to fit.

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
Performance-wise, deleting the cat will not actually accomplish much; the stock cat is actually pretty free-flowing. (Not to mention that a cat delete is illegal and creates all sorts of fascinating problems if you ever want to sell the car.)

·
Dolly Judger
380 Posts
The only way they'll know it is a 4cylinder is if they know the platform. Or if they know that the v6 and w8 are marked as such. Otherwise they won't know the difference between the v6 and i4.... Maybe they'll know it's not a w8 cause you aren't fixing it on the side of the road... :D

I have no problem with a slight growl on even an i4 engine as long as it isn't running crazy wheels/spoilers/subs/paintjob like it came out of fast and furious Tokyo drift.

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,142 Posts
my first question, at what point does the factory exhaust system become a problem? No offense to anyone, but I really do not like the ricer sound of a 4 cylinder with an exhaust, so i would like to keep my factory exhaust system if at all possible. I do plan on installing a test pipe, but other than that, id like to keep it factory. Im going to get a 91 tune for my car for the k03, but my car is getting a few miles on it, and when the turbo goes out, id like to replace it with a k04. Will my k03 tune perform ok with a k04 charger? and are any of the ebay test pipes decent?
You're not going to gain anything other than a slight increase in noise changing the exhaust on a reasonably stock 1.8T - and that applies to the test pipe, too. Leave the CAT alone. A tune intended for a K03 will work almost exactly the same with a K04. If you want to take advantage - what little there is - of the K04, you'll need a different tune. See if you can choose a chip company that offers tunes for both turbochargers, and offers an upgrade program.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well my car is pushing 150,000 miles now and im going to assume the cat will become a problem here in the future, so id rather just get it out of the way. No emission testing in Montana. Where is the restriction in the stock exhaust department? I see there is a very large can mid way under the car, and than a normal sized muffler at the rear.

·
Moderate Moderator
16,485 Posts
The biggest restriction in the exhaust is the turbo. But that's OK because it returns much more power than it consumes.

Anything you can do to reduce back pressure and increase flow after the turbo will help the turbo do its job and the engine to breathe better. A chipped K03 being run hard should benefit from a freer flowing exhaust.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wow. why in the world are these exhaust systems so expensive!? I bought a full turbo back 5 inch exhaust for my duramax with a muffler for 350 shipped. these kits are half the material and way more? I do like the sound of the Techtonics system mentioned above. My question is the difference in the systems. I see some people talking about having 2 mufflers but the kit on their website only has one?

·
Moderate Moderator
16,485 Posts
Probably volume. How many duramax performance systems are made and sold compared to to 10 year old VW family sedan performance systems?
The system I got from Techtonics (several years ago) has two Borla mufflers. Those alone cost a few bucks.

Another way to go is to have a local shop fabricate a custom exhaust for you.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
well my car is pushing 150,000 miles now and im going to assume the cat will become a problem here in the future, so id rather just get it out of the way. No emission testing in Montana. Where is the restriction in the stock exhaust department? I see there is a very large can mid way under the car, and than a normal sized muffler at the rear.
You're cat isn't destined to die. It's not a common occurence for them to fail. Original exhaust and cat at 225k miles, it's possible.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah, looking to pinch some pennies on this unfortunately. The techtonics system isnt priced too awful, but im just wondering how loud it is in person with a single muffler.

·
Moderate Moderator
16,485 Posts
I was just looking at the TT website. The stainless system has two Borla mufflers. The aluminized system has one Borla muffler and some sort of resonator up towards the beginning. It looks like a long glass pack style muffler.

You can get the system sized to fit the existing downpipe or the system that fits the 2.5" TT downpipe. If you get the one to fit the 2.5" TT downpipe you'll need to also get the 2.5" TT downpipe as it's not included.

The downpipe goes from the end of the CAT down under the car and includes the flexpipe. The rest of the system goes from there through the resonator and muffler and out the back.

·
Dolly Judger
380 Posts
I was just looking at the TT website. The stainless system has two Borla mufflers. The aluminized system has one Borla muffler and some sort of resonator up towards the beginning. It looks like a long glass pack style muffler.

You can get the system sized to fit the existing downpipe or the system that fits the 2.5" TT downpipe. If you get the one to fit the 2.5" TT downpipe you'll need to also get the 2.5" TT downpipe as it's not included.

The downpipe goes from the end of the CAT down under the car and includes the flexpipe. The rest of the system goes from there through the resonator and muffler and out the back.
Go big or go home...
Complete exhaust job from headers back

·
Wants to be TheFlipperGray
7,322 Posts
^ NTU reincarnated.

A custom exhaust is not a bad idea. You can get a quality stainless steel setup with mufflers of your choosing (YouTube clips of different brands) and save hundreds over getting a premade system like TT.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
^ NTU reincarnated.

A custom exhaust is not a bad idea. You can get a quality stainless steel setup with mufflers of your choosing (YouTube clips of different brands) and save hundreds over getting a premade system like TT.
there isnt really many exhaust shops around my area that does compact cars really. mostly just v8 stuff. Big trucks, hot rod cars and such.

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,142 Posts
there isnt really many exhaust shops around my area that does compact cars really. mostly just v8 stuff. Big trucks, hot rod cars and such.
Really? Try a little harder; an awful lot of people here have custom exhausts, can't be THAT hard to get it done.

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,142 Posts
I have seen so many threads on cat deletes and never saw a convincing argument for it.
It's old mythology; left over from the 70's. When catalytic converters were introduced, the rest of the cars systems didn't take them into account. They were pretty restrictive and caused all sorts of problems. I remember my B1 back then was a mess regarding pollution controls, but it hasn't been true for a long time.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts