Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
3,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in snatching up an available domain name for future use...

How are they priced?

What should I expect to pay?

Any way to haggle the price or are they not having it?

What's so special about the people who "own" it now? How did they get it and who did they buy it from? The whole domain name thing confuses the crap out of me. :???:

Any tips from anyone?

-Harry

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
I have several, and some places like domainbank.com give you better pricing for the more domains you have, I think I have around 50-60, and i get 'em for around $7.95 per year. I also suggest dotster.com, which is around $15/yr (for .com, .net and .org domains).

You may also want to look into deals with your hosting provider, sometimes they give you a domain for free with a hosting package.

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
you'll pay anywhere from $9 to $35 per year, depending on how many years you pay for up front. Domain names are held in a registry, you pay to have rights to use a particular domain name, that's all. If it's available, you have the opportunity to purchase the rights to use it exclusively.

If you are considering getting a hosting service (I like hostsave.com, but there are tons others), you can usually get a deal with purchasing a domain at the same time in the same place.

·
Banned
3,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So there is more than one company that I can lease the same domain name from? Or is there just one company assigned to a particular domain name?

·
Registered
551 Posts
go to godaddy.com ... i get all my domains there... free forwarding too!

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Harry - Domain names are unique. They get associated with a given IP address, but can migrate if you change ISPs as long as the name is registered to YOU and not to the ISP for your use. How Joisey tratin' yous?!?

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
there are 3 contact names for a domain:

Administrative Contact

Technical Contact

Billing Contact

make SURE you are listed as the admin (at least). else, if they have all 3 (ie, your hosting company) then you don't REALLY own your domain and they can ransom it .

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
1and1.com, 5.95USD / year, good feature set comes with domain registering. the 2 i like best are email forwarding, self-serve DNS.

the DNS part is great, i hooked my domain to my IP address for my cable modem connection and can update it if my IP changes. this way i can host stuff (website, Counterstrike server, etc.) and not have to give out my IP to non-techies.

a.s.

·
I got this user title because I'm old and special
8,552 Posts
aschendel said:
1and1.com, 5.95USD / year, good feature set comes with domain registering. the 2 i like best are email forwarding, self-serve DNS.

the DNS part is great, i hooked my domain to my IP address for my cable modem connection and can update it if my IP changes. this way i can host stuff (website, Counterstrike server, etc.) and not have to give out my IP to non-techies.

a.s.
You confused me on the DNS stuff. I can understand the email forwarding, but what does the DNS do in full?

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
DNS lets you type in names and 'dot com' things instead of 101.222.63.4 kinds of things.

name to address mappings.

reverse dns maps numbers to names.

its just that simple.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
linux-works said it right, it ties the name you buy to the address of your computer - which you may or may Not want to do based on what you're going to do with the domain.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts