Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I hope I am putting this in the correct place. I am looking to get another passat. I had a 2004 tdi and am looking at getting another. My question is should I get a TDI buyback with low mileage or go with a 16 model with the 1.8? I like the diesel as having one before but like the offerings of the 1.8 running 87 octane which is much cheaper. Just looking for opinions and/or experiences some of you have had with these and what you would recommend. I like the tech updates on the 2016 too.

Another question I have is why is the 2016 1.8L rated at 38 mpg hwy and the the 2017 and newer are rated at 34 mpg hwy. What causes the drop in MPG? That is why I am leaning toward the 2016 due to the higher mpg hwy while using 87 octane. Thank you all in advance for any comments.

·
Administrator
23,551 Posts
I had a '15 TDI SEL Premium and personally loved it. My wife was the primary driver though and did not care for the DSG. She liked the traditional torque converter automatics. I've topped close to 50 mpg on a trip from Orlando to Baltimore. Made it to Richmond, VA on a single tank of fuel from Orlando.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for sharing. Ive heard people getting high mpg like that on these tdi's. My understanding is the fix didnt really hurt mpg much at all. Maybe 2 mpg. I do majority city driving but will take a long trip from time to time. I just need to figure out which one will be most cost efficient not only as fuel goes but maintenance and durability as well.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Is it a SEL Premium? Is that what it comes on or an add on regardless the trim model?
Yes it ab SEL Premium and was a standard option. However, I hate it. Because when you unlock the car, it turns the car off and then you have to restart it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So all sel Premium trims will have it? I see where that would be frustrating but for me it would get the car warm in the mornings for when I take my 2 year old to daycare. So as long as it would warm the car I could live with that aggravation.

·
Registered
38 Posts
So all sel Premium trims will have it? I see where that would be frustrating but for me it would get the car warm in the mornings for when I take my 2 year old to daycare. So as long as it would warm the car I could live with that aggravation.
I would assume yes. And now i just go start the car and leave it running. Because the remote start time shuts down to soon for me. I’m sure there’s a way to change it with vcds... I just haven’t done it.

·
Administrator
23,551 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Ive heard people getting high mpg like that on these tdi's. My understanding is the fix didnt really hurt mpg much at all. Maybe 2 mpg. I do majority city driving but will take a long trip from time to time. I just need to figure out which one will be most cost efficient not only as fuel goes but maintenance and durability as well.
I traded mine in before dieselgate. On the DEF cars, it did not make much of a difference, because thery were cleaner due to the after treatment and DPF. The older mkV TDIs did not have DEF treatment and were the most affected by re-calibration.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello everyone. I hope I am putting this in the correct place. I am looking to get another passat. I had a 2004 tdi and am looking at getting another. My question is should I get a TDI buyback with low mileage or go with a 16 model with the 1.8? I like the diesel as having one before but like the offerings of the 1.8 running 87 octane which is much cheaper. Just looking for opinions and/or experiences some of you have had with these and what you would recommend. I like the tech updates on the 2016 too.

Another question I have is why is the 2016 1.8L rated at 38 mpg hwy and the the 2017 and newer are rated at 34 mpg hwy. What causes the drop in MPG? That is why I am leaning toward the 2016 due to the higher mpg hwy while using 87 octane. Thank you all in advance for any comments.
I bought a new 2015 SEL-TDI in Summer of 2017, after putting 100,000 miles on a 2013 SEL-TDI.
I owned both vehicles for more than 30 days before selling the 13 back to VW.
The 2015 gets better MPG above 60mph, and about the same below that. Newer one also has better passing power at those higher speeds. Both outstanding vehicles! But the detail workmanship was better on the 2013. More air noise in the newer one.
Now have 57,000 miles on the 2015. It will average 50mpg at 70 mph, unless you are doing hills.
i

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I bought a new 2015 SEL-TDI in Summer of 2017, after putting 100,000 miles on a 2013 SEL-TDI.
I owned both vehicles for more than 30 days before selling the 13 back to VW.
The 2015 gets better MPG above 60mph, and about the same below that. Newer one also has better passing power at those higher speeds. Both outstanding vehicles! But the detail workmanship was better on the 2013. More air noise in the newer one.
Now have 57,000 miles on the 2015. It will average 50mpg at 70 mph, unless you are doing hills.
i
Impressive numbers. I drove a 2016 SE TSI w/46k miles on it yesterday and enjoyed it. It got good mpg for the route I drove it on. Anyone with any experience or opinion on this model and engine? I know all models have their own quirks and/or problems, some worse than others. If anyone has an opinion on this model I would like to hear it. It's priced at $14k and if they will come down a little bit, I'll probably pull the trigger on it. Would like to know what you all thought about this model and engine. Thank you all.

·
Registered
36 Posts
also is remote start an option for the tdi's?
Yes - I have a 2015 Passat SEL TDI with remote start - you might want to check if it is on all models.
Averaging 40+mpg all around driving, with 50+ mpg on the interstates if you don't speed too much

·
Registered
36 Posts
Remote start shuts down after 10 min
I would assume yes. And now i just go start the car and leave it running. Because the remote start time shuts down to soon for me. I’m sure there’s a way to change it with vcds... I just haven’t done it.

You have to lock the car first for remote start to work...
Remote start shuts down after 10 minutes, according to the manual.
That prevents forgetting about it, or leaving it running in the garage and gassing yourself out.
Also turns off when you unlock the car - probably for theft prevention.

·
Registered
36 Posts

87 octane is much cheaper than diesel? Not necessarily!
$/gallon is not as important as $/mile
Example; assuming gas 30mpg at $2.50/gallon and diesel 40mpg at $3.00/gallon, driving 1,000 miles
- Gas: 1,000 mi/30mpg = 33.33 gal x $2.50 = $83.33, or 8.33 cents/mi
- Diesel: 1,000 mi/40mpg = 25.00 gal x $3.00 = $75.00 or 7.50 cents/mi
So the diesel would be the less expensive option (cheaper).
Plus consider cruising range; 18 gallon tank would get you 540 miles on gas vs 720 on diesel

·
Registered
38 Posts
I’m a huge fan of my 15 Passat TDI SEL. I have a Malone Stage2 tune. My other vehicles are sports cars and redneck trucks. Obviously this is far that but with the Malone tune it makes it a little more responsive and is a great Daily Driver. I have done 934miles on one tank. I wanted to hit the 1000mile
Club but decided not to risk running out of fuel.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts