Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading another post put up by Texasbob on oil changes and i see peoples raving about the oil extractors. I do my oil changes the old fashion way by removing the whole plastic ferrin from the bottom of the car, drain the oil by removing the plug etc....... . Here is the question:

Does the oil extractor removes ALL the oil like it should when you do it from the plug?. :???:

It seems to me that it would not since nothing works like gravity. So any inputs would be appreciated. The extractors looks like it would make the job so much easier, which i would love that :lol: , but the most important thing is to do it right :wink: :bow: .

Rah.............. :b5:................ :thumbup: .

·
Registered
12 Posts
I use one from Griots garage, the pump type. On my benz I used the extractor, then dropped the belly pan and removed the drain bolt and I got a few drops of oil. So on my benz it does remove all of the oil. Too much pain in the butt to check on the passat, but I dont see why it would be any different. Well woth the money IMHO! Dont the dealers change oil with extractors?

Dan

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Yoy will find there is a significant oil-extractor-using (sub-)community here in CB5 including me. I have the Pela and there are Mityvac and others. I use the Pela regular and have been having good success with it. I can't say I measure every single pint that I get but by and large, I am satisfied that with getting almost all of the old oil from the sump. The Pela just saves me tons of time and eliminates the hassle of removing the belly pan.

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
This is the proverbial question when I started to look into the oil extractor, and I was skeptical as well. Which lead me to do a simple experiment by after extracting the oil, I then removed the plug … and it was bone dry. Can’t say that it will work for all vehicles, but I did the same on my wife's RX300, and a buddy’s Maxima, all yielded good result.

Here's where you can purchase one with discount for clubb5 member:
http://toolparadise.com/company/B5/

Hope that help, good luck.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I've had good success with the MityVac. The markings on the plastic cylinder let me know how much oil I extracted. Once a year I pull off the belly pan to check the under carriage, CV boots, etc. On the TDI page, they recommend drawing the oil out of the dipstick then sticking the suction tube into the filter inlet after you remove the filter. I have tried it, but it is claimed that you can pull out additional dirty oil. Anyone tried it?

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I use the MityVac on my Passat and it works great.

I tried it on my wife's Isuzu Rodeo and it didn't get all the oil out...as I had about 1/2 a quart on the ground when I took the oil filter off...

IMHO it is perfect for the Passat, but the hose may not be long enough for taller engines...

·
Registered
37 Posts
It should be noted that this is a solution for the 1.8T engines, as the filter is accessable from the top of the engine. With the V6, you still have to get under the car to change the oil filter, making the extractor unnecessary, given you'll be under there pulling the filter off anyway.

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey thanks to Moab_dan, Feilo, Vuvision, Micheal, LoneStarPoke and Greggerm for all the input, i really appriciate it guys. I guess if a few of you were suspicious :suspicio: but loves the result, i can trust that :lol: :bow: . I have the 1.8T so it should work great. I am going to go ahead and order it soon. If anyone else reads this post, please do add your comment anyways, i'd like to hear everyone's opinion, good or bad............Thank you..........Rah............ :b5: :thumbup: .

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
It all depeneds where you place the tube...I dont think any brand will make a difference. I have the Pela, and its the same pump thing. As long as the tube is narrow enough to fit it should work.

BUT, it is key how far you push it in and scope around. The first 2 times I did it, I got all the oil out with a couple drops left to come out from the drain plug. I did it 2 days ago, and I got a significant amopunt out from the drain plug.

Since I have my splash gaurd off it is easy for me to take a long wrench and take the bolt off without lifting the car.

Also park the car on a down slope to let the oil collect.

I think if you change your regular oil 3K to 4K a time, you should be fine with the extractor.

As the oil would be sucked out, it would seam like it was empty, then I would move it further, and it would suck more, then I would pull it out until I got the first obstruction I would feel on the tube and I got a bunch more oil...so it is a bit of trial/error.

I wonder if there is a correct point to place the tube ???

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
how do you dispose of the oil after you extact it?

is there a way to pump it back into the emprty bottles

or do you just take the whole thing to the hazmat dump? and dump it there

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
crash893 said:

My MityVac has a valve that lets you pump the used oil into a container that you can take to a recycling center.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
it really does make things simple.....the key would be to find that sweet spot where it gets all the oil...I think parking the car on a decline might help??

DPassat...mentions at the first obstruction....I do remember I getting more oil out at that point...but I couldnt help but probe further and try other areas.

If the pan is flat on the bottom and the oil doesnt get stuck in a pool in some area, it should all be simple from one spot.....does anyone have a picture of how the oil pan looks on the bottom?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I remember a while back that someone had a GB on oil extractors. How much did you guys pay for your extractors? What is a good price?

RAH, I might go down to Griot's Garage sometimes this week. I need some cleaning supplies. Want me to ask if we can get some deal if both of us pick up one? They have a 5.5liter pneumatic for $99.99. It sounds pricey to me though. :suspicio:

Bee

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
crash893 said:

bring it to a designated oil recycle center. most auto stores will take it.

the pela has a spout type opening, and you can pour it back into the empty bottles.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
AnthroSSAT said:
it really does make things simple.....the key would be to find that sweet spot where it gets all the oil...I think parking the car on a decline might help??

DPassat...mentions at the first obstruction....I do remember I getting more oil out at that point...but I couldnt help but probe further and try other areas.

i tried further down too, and it seems like the first spot is the best.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts