Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does piston go clockwise or counterclockwise when retracting the piston. Also I bought a KD disc brake tool for the rear piston, it looks like a building block with different ears on it and it fits onto a 1/2 drive. Will it work!!!!!

Michael

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Almost positive it will turn clockwise, but it's been awhile since I did a rear set.
Not sure about the tool - I bought a MetalNerds one. Worked really good on the fronts and rears.
Just be careful to not tear the rubber boot around the piston.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Clockwise , now I've a question, lol sorry for hijacking this thread... When you are compressing the piston front/rear, do you need to uncap the brake fluid reservoir?

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks I just remember putting brakes on a coworkers GTI and turning the piston the wrong way and it came out. What a pain getting it back in.

Michael

·
Registered
411 Posts
Clockwise , now I've a question, lol sorry for hijacking this thread... When you are compressing the piston front/rear, do you need to uncap the brake fluid reservoir?
I usually do and place a rag around or under it to catch whatever minute amount of fluid that may spill out.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Does piston go clockwise or counterclockwise when retracting the piston. Also I bought a KD disc brake tool for the rear piston, it looks like a building block with different ears on it and it fits onto a 1/2 drive. Will it work!!!!!

Michael
You'll have to push while you turn. The kind with the threaded plunger is MUCH easier to use.

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,507 Posts
Both pistons turn clockwise to retract; they are NOT mirror images, as on typical self-adjusting drum brakes. I strongly recommend the Harbor Freight brake tool retractor; forum members living in my general geographic area are invited to borrow mine.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I repeat DO NOT use the cube type retractor that mounts to a 1/2 drive. IT BLOWS. My wife had to rent me the tool from Advance auto and it worked like a dream. I had to finish up after working a viewing and man was it dark in my garage..next weekend project Add light to the garage. Thanks for the help

Michael

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Turkey baster works good for siphoning off fluid - do NOT ever use it again for food preparation though (I bought a new one for 3 bucks, and threw it away after I was finished).

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have speed-bleeders installed so I just cracked them open and let the fluid drain out during retraction. Valid concern or not, I didn't want to risk any damage to my braking system from the back-pressure.

You can get the tool for *free* from Autozone for a 100% refundable deposit ($35 in my case.) It worked great.

·
Registered
311 Posts
can someone post a part number or picture of either the harbor freight tool or the autozone tool? Just want to make sure that I get the right one... thanks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts