Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a friend that was thinking of getting a hybrid car and mentioning how he will get a tax break. Now for the life of me I remember reading an article where people that owned hybrids got penalized of sort because they are not contributing to the "gas tax" which goes to the roads and what-not. So, I did a search and see many sites that talk about the tax credit for these types of cars. Am I loosing my mind? I could have sworn that was not the case :suspicio:

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
as far as I know you get a tax credit although its decreasing as hybrids become more readily available

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Federal tax deduction (not a credit) is $1500 for this year. It had been $2000. I believe it is set to decline by $500/yr until gone.

States have their own deduction/credits.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Holicow said:
Federal tax deduction (not a credit) is $1500 for this year. It had been $2000. I believe it is set to decline by $500/yr until gone.
Yep, it's being phased out as they become more common. Goverment just wanted to give a (small) incentive for people to get hybrids when they first were out.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
dont confuse the tax credits with the idea of a return. If you pay taxes every year rather than get returns then it may be a good idea to get one to reduce your payments but if you get returns yearly then you really dont gain anything because it is just a credit. Talk to your local tax guy to figure out the state and federal junk.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
glxpassat said:
Now I am feeling curious about this article I remember reading. :???:
There is no "penalty". If you read that somewhere, it was probably some moron (perhaps a mouth-piece of big oil) who is pissed-off that some people are driving efficient cars. Why these people think like this, I can't explain, unless it is money-driven, or a guilt- and ignorance-driven defense mechanism.

I sure don't miss the gas station very much, and I sure don't feel guilty about it.. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts