Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm just wondering how these guys drop their cars so low, and not hit the tire on the wheel well or fenders every time they go over a bump... or do they?

I see these cars with what appears to be less than 1" of clearance between the tire and the top of the fender, and I'm wondering how it doesn't scrape?

Do the lowered springs make it so rigid that there's no more bounce or drop when going over bumps?

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Some of them do. If you are running a 1.5" drop with 8 inch wide wheels and a 35mm offset you can hit the fenders with the tires. It usually happens when turning and going over a speed bump. I highly recommend rolling the fenders on these cars whenever you lower, the damage is pretty ugly and easy to prevent.

The common damage you see on B5s and B5.5s is dents in the engine compartment from the control arms hitting the top of the wheel well.

·
Registered
11,541 Posts
nick... ever the pic whore ;)

But yes, anytime you drop over 2 inches, you are counting on the suspension being less compliant and having less up/down travel in order to reduce the chances of rubbing. Springs are not the only part of the solution though as nick himself found out. Sport springs + sport shocks really provide the complete solution.

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
You can always just ride around on the bump stops to prevent rubbing. There's a thread around here somewhere about people hating to drive their cars with the extreme lowering and big wheels..

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, so here's the deal... (I've posted this before).

I have 18" x 8.5" BBS RA wheels, with a 30mm offset. The small offset makes them come right out to the edge of my fender wells. The front wheel almost looks like it extends past the fender well (but it doesn't).

I am running the wheels on stock suspension right now, and it looks like an SUV. There's about 3" of clearance above the tires.

I want to install an Eibach or an H&R set of sport springs, and drop the car about 1.5 inches.

Should I have any problem with the tires hitting the fenders when I go over bumps?

The Passat is brand new (3 weeks old), so ideally I'd like to use the factory shocks for about a year, and only install sport springs to lower it...

(I plan to do coilovers next year).

Jimmy :)

·
Banned
1,324 Posts
JimmyDee said:
OK, so here's the deal... (I've posted this before).

I have 18" x 8.5" BBS RA wheels, with a 30mm offset. The small offset makes them come right out to the edge of my fender wells. The front wheel almost looks like it extends past the fender well (but it doesn't).

I am running the wheels on stock suspension right now, and it looks like an SUV. There's about 3" of clearance above the tires.

I want to install an Eibach or an H&R set of sport springs, and drop the car about 1.5 inches.

Should I have any problem with the tires hitting the fenders when I go over bumps?

The Passat is brand new (3 weeks old), so ideally I'd like to use the factory shocks for about a year, and only install sport springs to lower it...

(I plan to do coilovers next year).

Jimmy :)
i know it's a moot point, but why did you go with the 8.5" with a +30mm... you probably knew you were pushing the limits...

anyway, even if the car is new, the stock dampers are not designed to work with a higher spring rate... and in little time you'll just be bouncing down the street, cause the dampers will be blown... you may as well just do the whole combo together...

oh yeah...

SUSPENSION BEFORE RIMS...!!! :crazy:

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I will tell you to becareful with what set that is recommended to you if you go making adjustments you may have issues later.

Here is my problem I have 8.5X18 wheel with a 32 offset I also have 235/40 wr18
tires.
I also have the eibach pro-system installed

The tire rack okayed the set up with 225/40r18 so some times when I am driving fast and there is a large dip in the road the suspension will compress greatly and the front tires will rub. the is not severe and it does not happen all the time since I am aware of I I have taken a hammer and tapped up the inner lip. I will try the "bat method" to try and roll the fender when I get the courage.

Every thing is a compromise since I needed the extra with to cover the 8.5 inch tire and I wanted a little more side wall a little rub in extreme occasions is okay,

I am monitoring it though if I will cause a serios problem I will have to go down to the reccomended size tire.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.