Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Four years spent in NC, with a good deal of traveling to surrounding states. I've been to New Jersey, Maryland, Virgiana, Tennessee, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Louisiana, and the very Eastern states of New England, but have no interest in these states. None, as far as my feelings go, compare to Cali. I have just over four months until my end of active service in the military. My plan is to return to my home state of CA. After talking to my dad a few times, he doesn't want me coming back due to the economy, and the amount of time I'd spend on the road and at work if I moved back to Palmdale.
My question is, how bad is California's economy? The job market for my skills, radio and telecommunication maintenance appears well with multiple job offers in numerous counties in CA. My dad tends to stretch facts, and prepare for the worst, so I would really like more opinions.
TIA

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
It's getting better. If you've got offers that's a good thing.

I don't know much (anything) about your field but offers in hand suggests to me a bit of strength in the market for peeps like you.

Traveling in Socal... well it blows most of the time so keep that in mind if you'll have to do a lot of that

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Traffic sucks. Cost of Living sucks. Everything else is probably as good or better than you will find elsewhere.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Houses are SO expensive, even in Palmdale, unless you have a nest egg someplace, I would start elsewhere.

Yes, I love Cali and I'm about 45 minutes south of the 'Dale, but I bought a house on the advise of my brother as an idot kid in 1987. If I waited until I got married to buy a house, I may have been priced out of the market.

You want to own a home, start a family, you don't want to commute your life away. What are you're other options? Texas? North Carolina?

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
but hey, the economy stinks everywhere right now. The South is taking a beating in manufacturing and textiles jobs, New England and the NorthEast are better, but hardly booming. So offers in CA look pretty good to me, unless another goal is to own your own place right away.

come to CA and hope for the bubble to burst! :cry: :roll: :lol:

besides, Dad just doesn't want you mooching off him. :p :poke: :D

edit: whiteknight beat me to it. :suspicio:
buy a boat and move to Beaufort. :bow: :bow: :lol:

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
that's true! so true. Just today our research guy was telling my boss that the median house in SoCal was 408k and the median in norcal was 480. give or take of course. THat was based on what we've been funding.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I think the economy is definitely recovering in California. Last year at this time a bunch of friends graduated and they couldn't find jobs for almost 6 months.... one guy is actually still unemployed but he lives in Fresno :crazy: This year my roommate and I both have internships/jobs but I guess it depends on the industry. The other roommate is a business major and she's having a lil trouble. If you've gotten offers, you should take it. It's always nice to be in California 8)

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
Even if you have an offer sheet to work in CA, the question is how far will that pay check take you ? As someone mentioned above, you'll be slaving for housing & the cost of living will eat the remaining of your pay check.

If you have a chance to start from fresh, you may want to look where housing does not exceed 25-30% of your gross monthly pay check. The rest is easy from there. Personally, I've moved from the Bay Area to Houston years ago, by far the best decision that I've made. Life is good here :wink: .

Good luck

·
Registered
148 Posts
The economy is booming in Palmdale. Thats my hometown, now I live in San Diego. There is soo much development going on in Palmdale its crazy. The economy is definately getting better in California though from what I can tell.

Dude, dont even get me started on the cost of a house in Palmdale compared to San Diego. A 2 bedroom in San Diego will get you a 4 bedroom in Palmdale with a 3 car garage!

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
It is really not that bad here in California specially in the south i.e. LA, OC, San Diego, Riverside. There's jobs to be had and really just depends on your profession / line-of-work.

Many service oriented businesses are thriving and so as medical, pharmaceutical, genetic engineering, aerospace and defense, etc. IT related, high tech manufacturing are hurt and mainly farmed out to other countries (China, India, Asia-Pacific).

Yes it is expensive here but if you know how to budget you will survive. You can even moonlight and earn extra mod money. And if you loose your job there's more opportunity.

I've been offered good jobs in the mid-west / east before but the thought of loosing my job and moving my ass back to Cali is enough to say NO and stay here. Besides, the weather here is just too nice to pass up.

BTW, if you are ex-military, you may want to check out the Aerospace and Defense Companies list of job openings that relate to your background / expertise. Good Luck.

As far as your old man, like someone said, he's just worried you're bunking in.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
yeah even though cost of living is high, don't forget, pay is high too. it's not like we're making mid west salaries and living out here.

Plus think of how many CB5 members are around here LOL. even if some act like they don't know you on the toll road... cough cough powerslide LOL. :D

I'd say if you have an offer take it and see what happens. Worst case you move away after trying it. Best case you like it. pay is good and housing prices return to slightly less rediculous levels.. except my place it needs to go higher LOL

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
jwilker said:
Plus think of how many CB5 members are around here LOL. even if some act like they don't know you on the toll road... cough cough powerslide LOL. :D
John,

I feel so bad yesterday. You beat me to it dude. Actually, I was listening to the Laker's radio so I was not paying attention to funny people making faces at me specially guys in Altima's. :wink:

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Its all about the IE and the 909 (Inland Empire and San Bernadino County)..hehe. I hope the economy is getting better. House prices suck. I just paid near top dollar for my house in Alta Loma (Rancho Cucamonga), but at least I got a 4.75% apr. :) for the same price, I moved 15 min down the freeway to a nicer neighborhood and a much nicer house. I still have to drive traffic to work for just under an hour each way but I won't be at this job that much longer. I car pool most of the time now. The IE is growing a lot and homes and businesses are moving in. At least that what I hear and hope for.

Kevin

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
pancreas said:
I was born in Fontana, CA but will never live there again.
I won't either. That is the armpit of Southern California. Toxic wastes from old industrial sites. That is one reason the California Speedway was built because the land is cheap. But Fontana looks better than some of the areas east of the Colorado river.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the replies, it's quite a confidence builder. All my immediate family is in CA, plus my best friends. In the desert, Lake L.A. to be exact, the houses on average cost close to $150,000, with some more, and less. These come with a half acre to a full acre of land. I love the desert, especially since I grew up there, and have become very interested in four wheelers the past year. My friends and I would 4x on the way to school almost every morning, so I always had an interest in off-roading. I don't feel it to be hard to find a job bringing home $35,000 a year starting, but I will probably have to sell the A4, even though I'm starting to come quite attatched to it. I love to drive, but the commuting is something I'm not looking forward to. I'm hoping to find a local job with metro-link, Amtrak, or even Union Pacific working on their radio's. I have a friend with Metro-Link, and my friend knows someone from Union Pacific. Maybe if someone here would lend a hand, I could send them a resume. The transition class has me leaning toward networking my resume to find a job. If anyone knows of a company needing a Radio and Telecommunications repairman, contacting me will be greatly appreciated. My wife and I are currently in the market for a house, planning to use my VA loan. If there is any Morgage Professionals that are willing to help, please feel free to contact me. Again, we are very thankful for any help and support offered.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts