Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I am buying tires this weekend from Costco for my 2002 VW Passat GLX V6. I have to get them there becuase my parents are making me, dont ask, lol. Which is the best tire for me from there?

I do live in Chicago, so performance wise they need to be driveable in the snow as well. The stocks (in my opinion) are perfectly fine in the snow for me too.... Not sure if that helps any. They carry Energy, Pilot, & MXV4.

Thanks!

TJ

·
Confused
3,557 Posts
The Pilot Exalto A/S are excellent tires for the money.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I 2nd the Pilot Exalto A/S I bought about 4 months ago, and even though i have had the chance to test in the snow, they handle great in rain. I've come to a few stop signs in the rain and tried to make them slip when taking off and i usually end up losing and just looking like a jackass for going fast in the rain.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yah, i saw those. However, i think i can get the best tire possible, and since the winter months are coming to an end soon, how does the Michelin® Pilot HX MXM sound? Ultra-High Performance. The Pilot Exalto A/S do look nice though.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Only if you are going to run snow tires in the winter...

You will fold your car up like a beer can the first time there is ice or snow on the road with HX MXM's (I don't care if you have fully functioning ABS, ASR and ESP on that rig).

UHP tires are like driving on blocks of wood when the temps drop below about 40. They have zero snow traction (because they weren't designed to), and the rubber won't grip ice (and Chicago gets it's share of ice).

The best tire possible for you is the Exalto A/S unless you are going to get the P's to pull the trigger on some snows too. Do yourself, your life, your parents and the rest of the drivers in the NW suburbs a favor and get the Exalto A/S.

Finally - how do you figure winter is ending soon? There's another two full months of winter left in Chi-town.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Yah, i saw those. However, i think i can get the best tire possible, and since the winter months are coming to an end soon, how does the Michelin® Pilot HX MXM sound? Ultra-High Performance. The Pilot Exalto A/S do look nice though.
they perform beter than they look, i put them on my awd 4-motion before last winter ,best thing iever did was to replace the oem michelins / rim protectors with them.im also replacing my contis with them on my other fwd passat this winter,

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Two months is not that much left of winter driving... Especially with the last few weeks being very warm...

What is the difference (except for the price) on these two tires?
- http://www.costco.com/Tires/Product...09746&Aspect=55&Diameter=16&Speed=V&Width=205
and
- http://www.costco.com/Tires/Product...74610&Aspect=55&Diameter=16&Speed=H&Width=205
They look the exact same to me... I am going this weekend to get new tires as my local mechanic told me that driving on my bald tires is like asking to crash... And i agree with him, lol.

TJ

·
Registered
871 Posts
Two months is not that much left of winter driving... Especially with the last few weeks being very warm...

What is the difference (except for the price) on these two tires?
- http://www.costco.com/Tires/Product...09746&Aspect=55&Diameter=16&Speed=V&Width=205
and
- http://www.costco.com/Tires/Product...74610&Aspect=55&Diameter=16&Speed=H&Width=205
They look the exact same to me... I am going this weekend to get new tires as my local mechanic told me that driving on my bald tires is like asking to crash... And i agree with him, lol.

TJ
When you see 2 tires that look the same but cost different in the same place-you can bet your money speed rating will be different.

·
Confused
3,557 Posts
The stocks are H rated. On our cars, it probably makes no difference....unless you have a W8 or a 2.7TT.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey All,

I got the Michelin Exalto A/S, and they were on sale for 110.99/tire... Pretty good deal (that includes installation and balancing and a lifetime warranty too :) )

Thanks all! And just from driving them home on dry pavement it was amazing.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Hey All,

I got the Michelin Exalto A/S, and they were on sale for 110.99/tire... Pretty good deal (that includes installation and balancing and a lifetime warranty too :) )

Thanks all! And just from driving them home on dry pavement it was amazing.
sale.!!!!!!!!!!i ordered mine from mavis tires and they are 102.00$ installed
might have them do the tirerack price,83.00$they are an authorized installer ,

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Doesnt matter to me, i didnt wait more than a half an hour, and thats lifetime warranty and balancing too. And my parents agreed to pay half of them if I bought them at Costco, they dispise the internet.

TJ

·
Registered
409 Posts
sale.!!!!!!!!!!i ordered mine from mavis tires and they are 102.00$ installed
might have them do the tirerack price,83.00$they are an authorized installer ,
What the ?

Is this for 16s? I thought they were like $115+ at TireRack. How does one get them for $83?

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Doesnt matter to me, i didnt wait more than a half an hour, and thats lifetime warranty and balancing too. And my parents agreed to pay half of them if I bought them at Costco, they dispise the internet.

TJ
costco's website has a 60.00$ michelin rebate advertised,did you get that also

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
finaly had time to go to the tire store on a sat .morning first in line w/o waiting for hrs.,preordered michelin pilot exalto a/s directional 205-60x15 tires, same as
on my 4-motion passat that i put on before last winter,thats how good they are ,
in that i put the same kind on again,,dont take my word though ,read tire racks ratings/reveiws,they didin t get to the top percent of every category for nothing,
well worth it imo

1 - 18 of 18 Posts