Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO I bought a Vag setup. I stupidly failed to realize that my laptop has no serial port (I assumed it did, never checked). I bought a serial to USB adpater. It causes my laptop to see the USB port as COM4. Vag will recognize the port and sees the ODB tool but can't synch the baud rate. I can do no diagnostic as it is.
options:
New option: I can buy a 120Mhz laptop with serial on Ebay for less than the Quateh PCMCIA adapter costs.
1) Buy a USB compatible OBD tool from Ross-Tech for $249... way too much...
2) download the newest version of VAGcom from Ross-Tech that supports KEycom. I plan on doing this tonight. I don't know that it will help.
3) Buy a pcmcia card with a serial port. Seen from the manufacturer for $150. Seen on EBay for $55. This sucks ...
4) drive the lowered variant acorssed an uneven lawn and park it next to the computer room window and run VAG on my PC. Horrible option. I'll lose my belly pan and be forced to drag the underbody through a ditch and over some big rocks and broken sidewalks.

My suspicion is that the newest version of VAG will be able to synch baud rates with USB but I'm not sure. Anyone have any experience with this? I'm a bit annoyed with it and would HATE to download this software, steal my wifes computer for a few hours (she needs to use it for school) and find it didn't work. It'll make me flip out and she won't be too happy. TIA!

Josh

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
atomicalex said:
Spirare, better bet is to call up Uwe and beg for a USB cable. He is very cool, and will give you a good option, I think.

Which reminds me, I have to trade my old cable in one of these days.
I'll give it a try. I'm not too proud to beg.
Looks like the PCMCIA card is the best option otherwise as it stands. It's what Ross-Tech suggests on their website although the card they endorse (Quatech) is insanely expensive.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
On OBD Tool they told me to use a Keyspan USA-19HS. They told me it was the only one they've tested tat works reliably. I'm in the same boat as you, all I need now is to actually find the adapter.

Paul :thumbup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.