Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how dark in color does synth oil get when its worn out, mine is a dark tan when on the tip of my finger. i ask because i just changed my moms non synth oil and it is the same color after about 5000 miles . can my synth oil still take the beating even when its this color. also, is it generally acceptable to change the vw filter every other time?
and, what do carbon deposits on the cylinders look like and how much is accceptable?

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
the dark color is normal, because the synthetics have a detergent additive. the only way to be sure is to do an UOA, though you should be fine changing the synthetic every 4-5k. vw recommends to change the oil and filter every 5k

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
but why does the filter say it only has to be changed every 30000 miles or 2 years

·
Registered
487 Posts
This is a continuously revisited argument. The US is on the receiving end of a con job that they need to change the oil every 3k for regular and 5k for synthetic while the rest of the world has been doing 10k changes for most of my life and has moved to 20-30k with synthetics. In the EU (where these cars are built for gods sake) they have a 20k fixed servicing interval or a 9-30k adaptive interval. But I calculated that my dealer made an extra $670 from unnecessary servicing work last year. That's why.

Now there'll probably be a bunch of postings saying if I don't do 3-5k my engine will explode, my milk will go sour, my hens will stop laying and God will be angry with me. Oh and next time I exceed 2000 rpm my pistons will all pop out through the top of the hood.

Basically it's a way dealers make more money. That's it. The car is made for the 20-30k intervals and so is the oil and the filter.

I wonder what I could make on a class action suit?

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
geordie said:
This is a continuously revisited argument. The US is on the receiving end of a con job that they need to change the oil every 3k for regular and 5k for synthetic while the rest of the world has been doing 10k changes for most of my life and has moved to 20-30k with synthetics. In the EU (where these cars are built for gods sake) they have a 20k fixed servicing interval or a 9-30k adaptive interval. But I calculated that my dealer made an extra $670 from unnecessary servicing work last year. That's why.

Now there'll probably be a bunch of postings saying if I don't do 3-5k my engine will explode, my milk will go sour, my hens will stop laying and God will be angry with me. Oh and next time I exceed 2000 rpm my pistons will all pop out through the top of the hood.

Basically it's a way dealers make more money. That's it. The car is made for the 20-30k intervals and so is the oil and the filter.

I wonder what I could make on a class action suit?
I am little confused on your calculation here ... so your dealer made out $670 from a few extra oil change intervals :???:

But 20-30K is a stretch even for syn oil, especially for the 1.8T engine. Best way is to send in for a UOA, but after 10K, even syn oil would be screaming for help. No your engine won't blow up, but oil sludge is what you'll have to watch out for in the long run. AA might chime in and tell you more about this.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
i definately don't recommend going more than 5k even on a synthetic w/o an UOA. sure, you can probably make it 7-10k on the 1.8t so long as the oil is still good. also, if you're under warranty, be sure to use VW approved oil and do oil changes at least every 5k.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.