Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm installing a JL Audio 250 mono amp to power my sub and I'm wondering if anyone has advice on where to mount the amp so that it doesn't take up space in the rear area? I've got a 2003 Wagon with a STLB5 custom box w/one JL 10".

Some ideas that I had were as follows:
1. In the spare tire area, fabricating a mount;
2. In the driver's side rear corner area where the PB and stock amp are mounted, assuming there is space to fabricate a mount;
3. Under the rear seat, assuming there is space to mount.

Has anyone done anything creatively that I could borrow from? :thumbup:

Many thanks :bowdown:

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,881 Posts
traubenberg recently put an amp in his variant. he ought to chime up.

·
Punches Dubs. True Story
9,982 Posts
traubenberg recently put an amp in his variant. he ought to chime up.
Fine, I guess I will ...

I stashed my amp - a really, really big amp, according to the guys here - behind the cubby door where the amprack and PB/stock CD changer go. HOWEVER, I completely removed the plastic rack from back there. I haven't fabbed a mount for the amp yet, but it's pretty secure and hasn't moved in several months, so I'm in no hurry to do that. The CD changer, you ask? It's now mounted o the outside of the cubby door. Lemme see if I have pics ...

Wow, this is the only pic I have uploaded anywhere that shows where the CD changer is ->

I've changed it since then so that the changer is now making contact with the cargo bed as well as the cubby door. My secret? Good velcro. The wiring is easily long eough to reach there and nothing gets pinched off at all. I changed the setting on the side of the changer so that it's set for vertical mounting. Some have chided me for putting it there because it takes up cargo space ...but in the rare instance when I might need every available inch, I can still tuck it back behind the door for short periods. It's just not totally secure back there.

Just a thought if you want to free up some space behind the door for mounting your amp.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks very much, that helps. I am trying to keep it out of the cargo area as I am often loading stuff back there and I fear that the amp or PB or whatever might get damaged.

look for posts regarding this from passatvariantpunk. He tucked his away in the rear corner (#2 on your list) and posted a ton of really good pictures.
Here's a photo that I found from Passatvariantpunk's wagon:

Thanks!

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,881 Posts
Stephen's (passatvariantpunk) install is about as stealth as you can get for the amp(s). his is behind the panel, once it is reinstalled.

if you want to see the opposite end of the spectrum, see Paul's (quality_sound).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts