Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on moving to Pennsylvania from New Jersey in about three months, and one of the fringe benefits for this move is the relaxed gun laws in PA. Of course, this is in addition to lower cost of real estate, lower auto insurance premiums, lower taxes, etc. etc.

But I digress. I really enjoy pistol target shooting (and I advocate responsible gun ownership, so don't start with me) so I'm looking forward to owning a handgun again. I'm seriously considering the Springfield Armory TGO III. It's part of the Rob Leatham Legend Series of 1911 A1 semi autos that is customized for target and service duty.

I don't plan on carrying it except to and from the range, but I was curious if anyone has/does own one of these pistols and if they could offer some general impressions of the gun. The last handgun I had was an Heckler and Koch USP .40 so this would be quite a change.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I don't care much for 1911's, but that is just me. The H&K is a good gun and so are the Glocks. Of course if you don't like picking up brass, you could get a wheel gun.

But if you insist on a 1911, I would go with Kimber. They make really good guns for the money and are about as tricked out as you would want.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
jwil said:
I'm planning on moving to Pennsylvania from New Jersey in about three months, and one of the fringe benefits for this move is the relaxed gun laws in PA. Of course, this is in addition to lower cost of real estate, lower auto insurance premiums, lower taxes, etc. etc.

But I digress. I really enjoy pistol target shooting (and I advocate responsible gun ownership, so don't start with me) so I'm looking forward to owning a handgun again. I'm seriously considering the Springfield Armory TGO III. It's part of the Rob Leatham Legend Series of 1911 A1 semi autos that is customized for target and service duty.

I don't plan on carrying it except to and from the range, but I was curious if anyone has/does own one of these pistols and if they could offer some general impressions of the gun. The last handgun I had was an Heckler and Koch USP .40 so this would be quite a change.
Well real estate is not so much cheaper anymore either is the car insurance and taxes are getting up there too now. I lived in NJ and moved to PA 7 years ago.
But anyway Gun laws are a million times more better over here! You can also get a conceled permit to carry no problem.
I would go with a Kimber instead. They are about the best 1911's made from an assembly line. I have the Ultra Carry with a 3" barrel and it shots without missing a lick and is damn accurate.
1911's in general are very finickie guns. With that said I would look into a Sig P220 in 45 or a Sig P226 9mm. Sig's are flawless and shot damn accurate.
Glocks are also a gun you can bet your life on but there not for everyone but are trusted the world over.
Let me know what part of PA your going to and I might be able to tell you the cheapest place to buy.
1911's are just to me an all around pain to work on and take apart to clean :mad:

·
Banned
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PA is MUCH better price wise than NJ. I'm paying almost $5k a year for insurance and $1500/month for rent on a rather mediocre apartment. From what I've seen moving to PA will cut both of those in half (maybe more on insurance). I was looking at new houses in the Poconos, but I need to rent for a year or so to make sure I like it and to save some $$$.

Anyway, as far as pistols, I've owned a Colt 1911, and I know they are a PITA to work on, but this will be a range gun only. I've always liked 1911's but I wouldn't get one to carry. I'd forgotten all about Kimber guns, I'll have to look at them. They had a couple very nice models on their website.

I don't like Sig pistols at all. The controls are just laid out wrong for my preference. If I get a carry gun again it'll probably be another HK, either a P7M8 or maybe a USP compact. If I could find a P9S in .38 super I'd be all over it, but that's like finding the Loch Ness monster, I think less than 500 were ever made.

·
Registered
551 Posts
i have an XD-40 from springfield and i love it...

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Jeff - you may want to check out http://forums.1911forum.com/. They've got a Springfield Armory forum there. I've always liked Springfield Armory pistols. I would love to get a TRP or their Bureau model, but I need to put more rounds through the Wilson Combat CQB I just purchased first. A lot of people don't like SA because they're pistols are manufactured in Brazil (at least their main production models) Also been looking at the Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special. Don't tell the wife...

BTW...SigArms just came out with their GSR (Granite Series Rail) 1911 pistol as well for around $900-$1000 if you can find a dealer that's actually got 'em.

Smith and Wesson also just won Guns and Ammo's gun of the year. These can be had for around $700-$800, which I think is a pretty good price.

Anywho...there are soooooo many 1911 manufacturers out there! I thought I would go MAD researching all the different manufacturers before I finally decided on Wilson Combat. Rumor has it that Heckler and Koch may also be developing one!

One thing's for sure, nothing shoots like a 1911! :)

/karl

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
BTW...I have to give credit to John Moses Browning for the simplicity in the design of the 1911. I was surprised at how easy it was to detail strip the pistol and reassemble it the first time!

No wonder the basic design has been around almost a hundred years!

/karl

·
Registered
811 Posts
SpecialKDog1 said:
BTW...I have to give credit to John Moses Browning for the simplicity in the design of the 1911. I was surprised at how easy it was to detail strip the pistol and reassemble it the first time!

No wonder the basic design has been around almost a hundred years!

/karl
As well as:

and

:bow: to John Browning

1 - 8 of 8 Posts