Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question guys... if I was to get some 17's or 18's for new rims... is there any reason to change my spare to 17's or 18's also? I would imagine it would look somewhat retarded, but would it even fit in the tire well? I am not planning on running around for 3 weeks on my spare... but I suppose it makes sense to have one that is the same size (so you can rotate it in every once in a while)

Thanks guys

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
Well if you do the proper upgrade you should be shooting for the same tire diameter as stock. That way the odometer / speedo is on etc.
Dia..........Tread.......Aspect.........Height
16............ 225.......... 50............ 24.85
18............ 235.......... 35............ 24.47
17............ 225.......... 45............ 24.97
16............ 205.......... 55............ 24.87 Stock size

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well its not so much the speedo readings I would be worried about... I am more worried about the spare tire situation. Should it be upgraded along with the other tires?

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
VWPassatGLX155 said:
Well its not so much the speedo readings I would be worried about... I am more worried about the spare tire situation. Should it be upgraded along with the other tires?
I didn't but then I have the 4mo and tire size is important so Imade sure my upgrade was compatable.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
If your rolling radii are the same or very similar it will be fine since it is the spare. You shouldn't be driving around for a week on it but I imagine it's ok to drive home or drive to a shop. Also, depending on the brand of tire, the diameters will vary, the stock 15 Contis are 25" exact while the stock Michelins in the same size are slightly smaller.

I will be putting 17 inch Toyo Prxes 4 on soon and they are 25.1 inches in diameter but I'm keeping my Conti spare as is - I think it'll be fine.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I have a set of 5 rims + tires of the A4 Sport Package 17"s, which are 7.5" deep. The spare tire "hole" in my car was not deep enough and made the cover layer on top pop out and created an uneven surface.

IMO there is absolutely no reason to change your spare to any size else just because it's not really worth it. The outer diameter of whatever you use (aftermarket) should be same as the stock anyways.

·
Registered
6,241 Posts
RL331 said:
If your rolling radii are the same or very similar it will be fine since it is the spare. You shouldn't be driving around for a week on it but I imagine it's ok to drive home or drive to a shop. Also, depending on the brand of tire, the diameters will vary, the stock 15 Contis are 25" exact while the stock Michelins in the same size are slightly smaller.

I will be putting 17 inch Toyo Prxes 4 on soon and they are 25.1 inches in diameter but I'm keeping my Conti spare as is - I think it'll be fine.
Hey Ricky what are the sizes of your tires?

·
Registered
6,241 Posts
RL331 said:
Flippped said:
Hey Ricky what are the sizes of your tires?
225/45/17

Whats going on Larry?
What up! :wink:

As for the tires I thought you would have went with 235/45/17? As for me I am currently riding the 225/45/17 as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts