Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2001-1/2 B5 that I put the Eibach Pro System on. The car now has 90K miles on it and my oldest daughter will be taking it to college. She's going to school up north (we live in Texas) and will be traveling through the Rockies in January each year. So, I suspect she'll need to use chains from time to time.

I assume that I'll need to put the stock springs back on. I'm running 225/50-16 tires.

Does anyone have any experience with putting chains on that tire size?

Do I need to raise the car back up? Do I need to go back to the 205/55-16 tire?

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
This sounds like a "You can have any two, but not all three" question.

Given the choice of raising the suspension or going with a narrower tire (for snow), I think I'd go with different (narrower) snow-ready tires. FWIW, I'd think it'd be more $$ to raise the suspension than to get a good of snow tires (snow tires would be safer than 225s and snow chains might not be needed with them).

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point, however . . . The issue is that sometimes you are forced, by law, to stop and put chains on your car over certain mountain passes -- snow tires or not. So, I have to have the car chain ready.

·
Rollin in the LAV
1,760 Posts
I grew up in Colorado, and we never used chains, ever. Just buy her a good set of studded snow tires. We alway used Nokians with our Saabs, and they performed flawlessly. :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
blakwag, EXCELLENT, that's exactly what I was looking for! I haven't purchased chains in a long time (I used to live in Utah), but I assume they're pretty tire-size specific these days. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
If you're willing to spend more money, I'd recommend www.spikes-spider.com. They're pricey but will be worth it if your daughter will need to use them often. In our California mountains, they're pretty strict with chain usage, even if there's a little more than a dusting of snow. What do you expect...it's California.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts