Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i might be trading my wheels for some 18x8.5's/18x10's......theyre off a mercedes, i test fitted one.....my clearance seems to be good in the back.....but the lug holes r too small, i tried to search, but couldnt find a DEFINITE answer. So, i was thinking, if i run a thinner lug bolt, it wouldnt fit cuz itll be too loose and not thread in, no? So i got to thinking, should i just drill out the hole a little bigger? Any suggestions from the wheel guru's in here?....thank you fella's:thumbup:

·
The "Odd" one
6,066 Posts
I would really like to make sure this works too...as I am looking at putting some wheels that came off of a 2003 Maxima onto a 1999 Beetle. Bolt pattern is ok...Offset is cool....I am worried about the diameter of the lugnut/bolt

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well found out some info....

Here are the issues you need to address.

Bolt holes - Some AMG wheels have bolt holes that are only 12mm diameter. Since Audi uses 14mm lug bolts, some wheels will need their bolt holes enlarged.

Bore - Mercedes uses 66.56mm hub. Audi is 57.1mm hub. You need hubrings that go from 66.56->57.1mm

Lug bolts - Genuine Mercedes wheels use an R12 Ball seat lug bolt (if the bolts are 12x1.5). Genuine Audi bolts are R13 ball seat.
You'd need to special order lug bolts which are 14x1.5 R12 (and whatever length you decide you need). This is not a very common bolt.

That's what's involved. Here's a small tip, if it turns out you need the bolt holes enlarged, have a shop convert the seats from ball seat to cone seats. It'll make finding bolts much easier.

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
If you're going to go about modifying your lugs, you might as well get a lugnut conversion kit installed, so you have lugs to hang your wheels from when installing them, and so you can use AutoZone lugnuts in a pinch. It makes getting wheel locks a hell of a lot easier, too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts