Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
VWPassatGLX155 said:
Has anyone used the below kit? How did you mount the bulbs into the headlight casing so that they wouldn't fall out. I don't think you could use the stock mounting brackets.
http://www.proxenon.com/add_cart_frm.php?product_id=7
I'd like to know as well...I've been looking into getting some of those in 6500k
This was on their site as well...I'm going to email them and ask if conversion is needed for a b5.5
11) Do I need to modify the Halogen headlight housings for HID bulbs to fit?
Typically not. The HID bulbs sold by ProXenon are designed to fit the Halogen housings. Occasionally some vehicles have factory-made adaptors that require minor modification to ensure a snug fit.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Or you could just get the ballasts and bulbs from a wrecked car make adapters for the HID bulbs and wire them in. :thumbup:

·
Registered
258 Posts
Trekie said:
Or you could just get the ballasts and bulbs from a wrecked car make adapters for the HID bulbs and wire them in. :thumbup:
That's the ticket... It is exactly what I did on my previous lamps. Worked like a charm. Now I have the factory European bi-xenons but the previous setup did work great. :wink:

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
glockfan said:
Trekie said:
That's the ticket... It is exactly what I did on my previous lamps. Worked like a charm. Now I have the factory European bi-xenons but the previous setup did work great. :wink:
Could you specify what were the major differences that you felt between both setups?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Factory bi-xenons utilize the HID low beam to aid the H7 high beam when driving with your bright lights on. When yu switch to high beams, a solenoid repositions the HID lamp to obtain maximum intensity. This in conjunction with the H7 bulb results in an extreame amount of BRIGHT light when you need it. Also, I like the look of the factory HID's. THe low beams are positioned on the outside corners of the lamp (where the blinker is usually located), the blinkers are relocated in between the H7 and HID lamps. The end result is super cool... 8)

·
Registered
191 Posts
glockfan said:
Factory bi-xenons utilize the HID low beam to aid the H7 high beam when driving with your bright lights on. When yu switch to high beams, a solenoid repositions the HID lamp to obtain maximum intensity. This in conjunction with the H7 bulb results in an extreame amount of BRIGHT light when you need it. Also, I like the look of the factory HID's. THe low beams are positioned on the outside corners of the lamp (where the blinker is usually located), the blinkers are relocated in between the H7 and HID lamps. The end result is super cool... 8)
Thanks very much for the info! Do you use any kind of leveling device with your hids, manual or auto?

·
Registered
222 Posts
I was also in the same train.
I was considering a conversion kit some time ago, but there's no like OEM HID.
My reasons are :
[1] The halogen housing is not designed for handling the HIDs, the light projected is not going to be the best. Besides, I've heard of burned housings, I don't know if its true.
[2] The "bi" factor. This variation of angle gives you a clear sight.
[3] Those conversion kits usually come with 6000k, whereas the OEM come with 4100K, which is supposed to be a better light. Of course, this is a matter of the bulb itself.
[4] The ballast mounting. With the kit you will have to find a place where to stick the ballast and all the cables. In the OEM setup everything is already in its right place, you don't see anything rare.
[5] The cool factor ... :wink:

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Where is a good source for wrecked W8 parts (or a set of OEM Euro HID's off a wrecked car), and how much should I expect to pay for them?

·
Registered
258 Posts
VWPassatGLX155 said:
Where is a good source for wrecked W8 parts (or a set of OEM Euro HID's off a wrecked car), and how much should I expect to pay for them?
Good luck finding them... Used ones start at near $750.00 here in Germany. I would suggest keeping an eye on German ebay. Maybe you will find a deal there.

When I had the HID setup in the OEM housings, I had absolutely no heat issues or funky projected light. This setup was tight.

The only two advantages that I see with the OEM setup is:

1) bi-xenon operation
2) Cool factor

I am speaking from experiance, I have used both systems.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
glockfan said:
VWPassatGLX155 said:
Good luck finding them... Used ones start at near $750.00 here in Germany. I would suggest keeping an eye on German ebay. Maybe you will find a deal there.

When I had the HID setup in the OEM housings, I had absolutely no heat issues or funky projected light. This setup was tight.

The only two advantages that I see with the OEM setup is:

1) bi-xenon operation
2) Cool factor

I am speaking from experiance, I have used both systems.
How did you make the bulb stay in place of the stock housing when u did the HID setup?

·
Registered
258 Posts
How did you make the bulb stay in place of the stock housing when u did the HID setup?
Stainless steel wire... sounds chinsy, but it worked. :lol:

·
Registered
258 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
7 Participants
glockfan
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing