Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old set of speakers here that I'm going to be putting into my cousins car. I'm not sure which wire is positive & which one is negative & they do not come with instructions. One wire is clear. The other is clear with a blue stripe. :???:

I'd appreciate any help you guys can share. Thanks!

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
There are wires coming out of the speakers? Generally the terminals will be labeled or "imprinted" with the polarity. Also, the negative terminal is smaller on some speakers. As a last resort, get a battery, AA or 9V and connect one wire from each terminal on the speaker to each terminal on the battery. If the cone moves forward then the lead on the positive terminal of the battery is the positive input on the speaker. If the cone moves backwards then the positive on the battery is connected to the negative on the speaker. Does that make sense?

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
6,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hehehe... actually, I thought of that... but I failed to mention a very important detail. They are tweeters - which explaines the wires... and also explains why I acnt do the 9V battery thing. There's a grill covering the cone... cant see which way the cone blows.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
oooooohhhh........the clear is the negaitve. Keep in mind a lot of manufacturers will wire the tweeters backwards at the crossover. Try them both ways and go with whatever sounds best. Don't worry about them being "backwards".

Paul :thumbup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts