Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I should have put this in the other forum, but I figure I can get a quicker response here. I've got a small nail/tack in my tire. The guys at Wal-Mart won't patch it because the hole is about 3/4 inch from the sidewall. They say I can find somebody to plug it or I can buy this stuff called slime(it's green junk) that I can squirt in. I'm not sure what to do. The leak is extremely slow. I'm a little weary about squirting the slime in. Won't that affect future tire repairs?? He also said the plug might work it's way out eventually. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. It sucks because they're yokos avs db s2 with about 20k on them. I just had another one repaired about a month ago thanks to a screw!!!

Jonathan

·
Registered
402 Posts
Just buy the pugs and plug it yourself. If it doesn't work, then you are only out a few bucks. I have had plugs (like patches better tho), and I have never had one come out.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Don't slime your tires... (or use FixAFlat)

The slime is made out of a highly combustable material and will cost you extra if you ever want the tire repaired or have a new tire installed on that wheel.

Last time I had a flat repaired (wife's car, 165 wide tires), it was only slightly more than 3/4" from the sidewall (seems like everything is 3/4" away from sidewall with a 165 tire) and the tire place I took it too looked at it, asked if I had used the above products, then quoted me $12 to repair it ($25 if I had slimed it). That was with them pulling the tire off the rim, putting an internal patch on and then remounting the tire.

That tire is still in use 6 months later.

If you don't hear what you like, try for a second opinion.

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
I'd plug it on my car, but not on yours.

I don't want the liability.

That said, my 50 some thousand mile right rear tire has 4 (FOUR) rope plugs in it, and other than being a POS never-round-from-the-start Goodyear Bald Eagle Maypop, it's fine.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up taking it to Goodyear. They said that if it was on the tread, they could patch it. It is on the rear. However, my front left is also patched. I can't switch it to the rear because the way the tread runs. Hopefully it will be okay until I get a new set. Thanks,

Jonathan.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts