Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replaced both rear brakes (pads and rotors) a couple weeks ago. I just noticed that there is noticable gap/space between the brake pad and rotor, which I am pretty sure was not the case before. Is this normal or they were not correctly installed? Please give some insight.

Thank you!

·
Registered
28,326 Posts
Are you sure it is not the backing plate you are looking at? It could also be the pads are shaved at the ends away from the rotor.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I see, just tryed to press the brake pedal when the car is still, surprisingly, the pads are not touching the rotors.... there must be something wrong.

thank you guys, i'll take the car back to the dealer to see what's going on.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you sure it is not the backing plate you are looking at? It could also be the pads are shaved at the ends away from the rotor.

you are right. it turns out the new pads have trimed edges, but I cannot see that part when the pads are installed. When the pad presses against the rotor all I'm able to see is the outer line of the trimed eadge, which appears to have some space away from the rotor, but the surfaces of the rotor and pad are actually touching each other.

It's all good.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didn't ask.... sorry...

If I understand "beveled" correctly, yes the pads on my car are beveled around the edges, too.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Glad to hear it's okay. I put PBR deluxe on mine a couple weeks ago. I remember the fronts being beveled, but the backs being flat. Guess every brand is different.

What made you look? Was it braking funny?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Glad to hear it's okay. I put PBR deluxe on mine a couple weeks ago. I remember the fronts being beveled, but the backs being flat. Guess every brand is different.

What made you look? Was it braking funny?
thanx.

I noticed it when I was checking tire pressure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts