Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
'01 Passat GLS Variant, 1.8t/6sp/4mo
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's back!

After keeping my eyes open endlessly for a clean 4motion wagon, I finally was able to make something happen when I moved to good ol' Texas.

If you are on this forum, I am 99% sure you know the man behind it, or at least the car. I've come to find out Paul is quite the legend around here!

Sitting around 204k miles on the dash, I bought it from my coworker just a few days ago. I will have a separate thread showcasing everything that goes on. If you are on here Paul, the car is still in good hands! My mind has been going 150% since I found out I finally was getting the opportunity to buy it from him.

Short story, lets take this back over a year.

~October 2018 - I worked for LKQ in Salem, Oregon USA. I was the inventory guy at the time, grew up in a VW enthusiast household, so when an '05 1.8t/5sp/4mo wagon came in, I drove it to the corner of the yard and parked it. Told my boss he could basically f*ck himself, I wanted to save that car. 76k miles iirc, when I looked up how many were built in that color/trim, I found it was 1 of 2 (for the US market), the other residing somewhere on the east coast of the US.

To put a sad story to rest finally, I wasn't able to come up with the money to rescue it, ended up being the one who had to kill it. Bossman was not happy :ROFLMAO:

I tried to find a buyer for it, even had Evan Ott, if that name is relevant here, potentially try to fly out and drive it back east. Still butthurt we couldn't get the car cheap enough to make it happen. RIP my angel

Fast Forward

10/1/2020 - I moved to the DFW Texas area with my wife and two daughters
1/1/2021 - My now-ex and I were in the middle of a rough split, for context, it is just now me and my 2 year old
2/1/2021 - In a slump, wanting to get back to doing fun car stuff, my dad, cousin and I went to a local car meet, to check out the scene, maybe meet some people while we were at it. We ended up standing there, talking amongst ourselves, didn't meet anyone LOL

however, I saw this gray b5 wagon behind our cars, with a slightly faded V6 4Motion on the back. Being the nerd I am, even assuming it was still in fact an auto v6 4mo, I wanted it. I wanted it badly. I took a picture just in case

At the time, I drove '97 Jetta (still daily it!) and a '00 4runner that lives in Houston TX last I heard. I was willing to do whatever it took to ditch the Toyota (probably the best car I have ever owned) and replace it with something cooler, something more fun to daily drive in the concrete jungle. I ended up trading it for a 2001 Cabrio, with a VR6 swap, RHD swap, euro rolling stones interior, the works. Only catch, it was in pieces... thus started me daily driving the Mk3 Jetta

All this time, I was out of work. Late April 2021, I got a job at BMP Tuning, at the time working out of Blair Automotive in Carrollton, TX. (amazing facility, great people, my cousin is actually a tech now). This meant a 20min commute... at first. August 2021, BMP moved to Garland, TX. Still in Dallas, but my 20 min no-toll drive turned into a 50+ minute no-toll drive. The suspension on the Jetta was used, and set up for a MUCH heavier B3 passat wagon (which I also did own, these coilovers never made it on). Needless to say, the rough roads I'd have to take to avoid tolls was beating the poor car up. I knew I needed a better daily, even if I had to cut my losses with the cabrio.

Luckily, guess what I saw when I came to work?

6/23/2021 - Hey cutie :whistle:;)

I told Coleman (my coworker, turned good friend) I wanted to buy it the MOMENT the thought ever crossed his mind. Regardless if it was blown up when he was done. Again, I assumed it was a v6/auto, and I decided I would stick a 2.7tt with a 6-speed in it if one day I ever acquired it.

I think I had mentioned this idea to him, when he said 'oh, actually it's already been swapped, it has a 1.8t and an s4 6-speed in it'

WHAT

GIVE ME

So naturally, at least once a week, I'd crack some joke about 'better treat my car right, or else' (he didn't treat it like shit, he did stack miles on it though)

8/30/2021 - My moment has finally come. The passat developed some issues and put the car into limp mode. Coleman had been talking about a new daily for a while, but didn't want a car payment. He had a strong appreciation for this car, however another friend was selling his 2011 A3 DSG/TDI, and he wanted to save money on fuel, having put a ton of miles on the car since he bought it earlier in January of 2021. He ended up buying the A3, and I was offered the car. Everyone knew I was dying for it. I told him regardless of the dirt, stains, or issues, give me a price, and I will make it happen. No strings, no worries, no judgement if I came across any questionable repair or stain. Totally fine with it AS-IS

9/3/2021 - It's friday, I've made my first payment and got the key and all the paperwork dating back to '05. Yes, I am making payments on a 2001 passat. Still have a lot I am working through to get back on my feet again, and in order to afford the car and the maintenance I want to do, this is the solution. I have no shame in it! Huge shoutout to Coleman for this. Check out some of his work, @meltingmanmedia!

So far, I cleared codes and got it out of limp mode, it's having issues related to boost, my idea is that it is DV issues, so it will be replaced with a GFB T9225 hybrid. The oil pressure warning light did come on a couple times while in limp mode, but it was running pretty rough, and hasn't come back since. The car will also be getting New South Performance boost pressure/oil pressure gauges as well, before I start daily driving it. Just to be 100% confident in it.

If you made it this far, I want to take a second to thank the man, the myth, the legend PZ for the passion, attention to detail, and meticulous record of everything since 2005. I am a total nutcase when it comes to OEM+ swaps, upgrades, or even just little details. I can tell this car was built with the same fire I have burning inside me. I am beyond excited to put my touch on this car, and clean it up to it's former glory.

Now, here are some of the first pics I've got!

Last night it got a bath, did some detective work and more research on the car and potential things to watch out for, and I drove it to the gas station. After I get it sorted, I plan to take the ol' DSLR out and snap some real pics of it, clean in the daylight.

For now, it's back to obsessively surfing the internet for stuff to do to it :LOL:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Too bad you couldn't save that beautiful '05. But nice job on getting PZ's former car. It's good to see it's story continuing here on passatworld!

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Too bad you couldn't save that beautiful '05. But nice job on getting PZ's former car. It's good to see it's story continuing here on passatworld!

Welcome to the forum.
Thank you!

I saw your post on FB. Glad you joined the forum.
Yeah, I'm mostly a facebook user now, when I got my first car I tried a thread on vwvortex but lost interest. I've always appreciated these old forums, so I am thrilled to be here!

·
Registered
28,457 Posts
Welcome.
I sold the car with 184K on it and the swap was done in 2014 with 162K on it. I sold it early this year, so it's been driven quite a bit in that time. The oil pump and pickup were new with the swap, I had dropped the pan a year earlier for the motor's original owner. I cleaned out the bottom of the block and replaced the oil pump, pickup and pan. I still have the donor car that supplied the motor, engine harness, and dash harness.

I have a ton of pictures and info about the car if you would like to meet up sometime. I am free most days in the afternoon. Send me a PM and I can send you my contact info. I am not on FB.
Paul

Reactions: benzivr6

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome.
I sold the car with 184K on it and the swap was done in 2014 with 162K on it. I sold it early this year, so it's been driven quite a bit in that time. The oil pump and pickup were new with the swap, I had dropped the pan a year earlier for the motor's original owner. I cleaned out the bottom of the block and replaced the oil pump, pickup and pan. I still have the donor car that supplied the motor, engine harness, and dash harness.

I have a ton of pictures and info about the car if you would like to meet up sometime. I am free most days in the afternoon. Send me a PM and I can send you my contact info. I am not on FB.
Paul
I read through some of your posts about it, as well as the paperwork that came with the car, which is what gives me confidence about that oil light not coming back. Just want to put a gauge on it to make sure it's still doing alright! Would be really unfortunate to learn the hard way...

I'd love to meet up sometime! I stay pretty busy, but most weekends I have free time. I better get to work on the passat :)

Reactions: John_E and PZ

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Ok Paul, so now I gotta ask...
Is that the car that my wife and I were in when you took us to lunch the first time we were at your house?

·
Registered
28,457 Posts
Probably so, but I don't think it was swapped then. What year was that?

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Probably so, but I don't think it was swapped then. What year was that?
I think it might have been right after the swap. I distinctly remember you saying that is was under powered. My wife thought otherwise as you swept through a hard left turn as she struggled to stay in one spot on the seat. I never did tell you this, but that ride over to the hamburger place scared the crap out of my wife. It's all good though, she's gotten over it. :p

·
Registered
28,457 Posts
It was fast below 60 and the handling is great. It seemed a lot slower after 2nd gear. That's why I bought the built 2.0 block, FMIC, and GTX2863. It's just that my neck gave out much sooner than expected.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I had my eye on that wagon when PZ had it for sale, but didn't move on it and when I really needed it... had been sold already. I'm glad it's still on the road, and super glad that you got it and not me, because you will do a MUCH better job taking car of it than I would. I ended up with a 2005 1.8T Wagon FWD which is a great ride but needs a clutch (slipping) and has 210k miles. Take good care of that legendary vehicle from the legendary PZ!

ETA: Ha ha, I've got a Hungarian Flag in my mini-bio!!! (Currently in Budapest on Vacation/work trip).

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,516 Posts
The B5/B5.5 Passat wagon is still the best-sized, best-configured car ever offered in North America. Mine just turned 21, and its a keeper. (1.8T, FWD, tip, pre-facelift, nothing special, but still the best car I have ever owned. I had to buy my wife the 2016 Golf Sportwagen so that I could take over the Passat. :) )

Reactions: VAGguy
1 - 14 of 14 Posts