Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

121 - 129 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
26,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Yes, that was StattlichPassat and several years ago.

·
Registered
26,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #124

·
Registered
26,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Finally started working on the car again. Mostly overdue repairs that were left for the last year. This is the most recent work with more to come:

Got the old center driveshaft bearing removed and the new one installed on Friday. I also figured out a way to make a rear differential front mount with a poly insert for $200 less than Apikol wants for their billet version (I might do a cheap/fast writeup) by using the Apikol rear diff crossmember bushings presses into the OEM housing. Got that installed as well. Started to work on the passenger side front window regulator, almost 18 months after I bought the part :banghead:

Had help from "Twowagens" again on Saturday to finish off the window regulator (speaker and motor swap) and swapped the lock actuator from the donor car as it was also acting up. Showed him how it is done so he knows what he is up against when he goes to repair his door locks.

We also hung the engine and trans from the engine support bar, loosened all of the trans, motor and subframe mounts and forced the engine forward about 1/2". This was due to the center driveshaft having no fore/aft play in the CV joints, which probably contributed to the center bearing wear as well as the rear diff mount issues (and a leak at the rear trans seal). This was probably the hardest part as it's not easy to pry and engine and trans forward on the mounts, hold it there and tighten everything back down. After that fun, the center driveshaft was installed and the heatshield is in place. Just need to hook up the exhaust again.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
for $200 less than Apikol wants for their billet version
Do I hear a call for a custom part?

CAD / CAM here at your service buddy. :lol:

·
Registered
26,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #127 (Edited)
No need, I made the custom part with the Apikol bushings for the rear mounts. They are the perfect size for replacing the front differential bushing, just press out the old bushing, trim 1/2 of the outside edge on 1 side of the new bushing and they push in by hand. Even the center metal support was the correct size.

I got the rear shocks out and adjusted to full soft today. One side was easy, one side was a pain (typical). They are more work than the fronts due to the multi-link setup on the 4mo. I also had to apply more brake-quiet to the rear pads as they have started to squeal on light braking. Then I started installing the Hotchkis 24mm RS6 rear sway bar, but I want to buy stronger bolts for the mounts as the OEM do not look anywhere near strong enough. More work on Tuesday or Wednesday depending on the weather. I have to do yard work as much as I have to work on the car. Both have been neglected for too long. I have the car off the road for a while as I work on everything needed. Next up will be front suspension and matching Hotchkis 35mm S4 front sway bar. The wagon should be a bit more fun on the corners as body lean was always a problem even with the stiffer springs and 1BE rear bar.

·
Registered
26,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
Picked this up earlier this week, will go in later this year after I work on the other 3 cars.

B6 A4 AMB block (original) bored to 83.0mm
- FSI crank
- Scat 20mm rods
- IE-spec Mahle pistons (9.25:1 CR)
- OEM/non-coated main/rod bearings
- ARP main studs
- IE billet timing gear
- fluidampr crank pulley
- all new seals, oil pump, etc when built
- Under 15K on engine

I plan on keeping it single pulley, B6 style a/c, with dual electric fans. I will run the V6 front carrier to use the oil pan side mounted front snub from the B6. I will also install the FMIC, FrankenTurbo and delete the crossover tube. Still need a B6/B7 A4 alternator and 2nd fan setup along with head gasket and head bolts. I will keep the AUG head as it's almost new anyway (under 15K). Should make the car a bit more lively around town. I also plan in cleaning and painting the block before it goes in as I am in no rush to get in installed.

·
Registered
26,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
Decided I will keep the car for the next few years. 2.0 stroker will be installed some time next year along with many more mods sitting in the garage for quite some time.

121 - 129 of 129 Posts